The SHC Pharmacy is a full-service pharmacy open to the NYU community (students, faculty, and staff). We are staffed by three Registered Pharmacists and three Certified Pharmacy Technicians who are ready to help you with all your health care needs.
- Pharmaceutical counseling
- Drug information and education
- A wide selection of pharmaceuticals (brand name and generic)
- Vitamins and over-the-counter medications
Prescriptions can be e-prescribed, faxed, or called into the SHC Pharmacy by any licensed Provider or Nurse Practitioner or can be presented in person, in written form. You may also call or secure message the Pharmacy to request a refill for a prescription you have on file with us.
We accept many prescription insurance plans for your convenience.* If you are enrolled in an NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan, refer to the prescription section of the benefits chart in the Guide to Student Health Insurance.
* Please note: There are limits on some prescription benefit plans. Know what your limits are.
Ask the pharmacy staff to explain your benefits to you so you can calculate how much your medications will cost and if you are nearing your yearly cap. Many times we can suggest lower-cost alternatives to help reduce your costs.
To make your experience in the pharmacy as easy as possible, here are some helpful hints for your visit:
- Have your insurance card or copy of it with you for your first visit to the pharmacy so we can enter it into your computer profile.
- If you are transferring a prescription from NYU SHC pharmacy to a hometown pharmacy, contact the pharmacy in your hometown where you want your prescription transferred . Provide your pharmacy with the name of the medication., and ask them to call the SHC Pharmacy at (212) 443-1050.
- If you are transferring a prescription from a hometown pharmacy to NYU SHC Pharmacy, please contact us at (212)443-1050, and provide us with the following information:
- Pharmacy information, including phone number
- Prescription number, or, name of medicaiton
- Please note, due to New York State law, the NYU SHC Pharmacy can only transfer one refill per month. Most pharmacies out of New York State will close your prescription and you may lose the rest of the prescription if there are additional refills.
- Prescriptions can be E-Prescribed, faxed, or called into the SHC Pharmacy by any licensed Provider or Nurse Practitioner or can be presented in person, in written form. You may also call or secure message your refill requests to the pharmacy. The prescription will be ready when you arrive.
Utilize the pharmacy as a healthcare resource. Ask questions if you are unsure about your medications or any other healthcare concern you have.
Traveling abroad and need more than a one month supply of medication?
Contact your insurance provider a few days prior to your departure date so an override can be placed in their system. After you receive an email confirmation, call the pharmacy and let the staff know how many months were approved.
If you are enrolled in an NYU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan please contact CHP at (877) 373-1170 for override approval.