Medical Services in Shanghai

Required vaccinations are listed in the Health Requirements section below. Additional
recommended vaccinations include:

TB Skin Test (if staying longer than one month)

Hepatitis A and B



You should consult with the NYU Travel Medicine Department to determine if you need Rabies and Japanese Encephalitis

Health & Wellness staff can assist students with making appointments at one of the following locations:

Shanghai United Family Healthcare

Parkway Healthcare

Mental Health Services in Shanghai

NYU Shanghai has onsite Wellness Counselors, Yirui Wang, Yang Lu, and Madeleine Dupre

While studying abroad is an incredible experience, it often takes time to adjust to a new culture, living arrangements, food, language and submersion into the unfamiliar. Some students feel overwhelmed, others homesick. Some afraid, others depressed. Students may periodically feel out of sorts.

The attitudes toward counseling, or therapy, vary from one country to another. Similarly, the availability of resources and quality of services may be different from what a student is accustomed to in their home country.

Students must plan ahead before departure! Call the Wellness Exchange at 212.443.9999 or write to if help is needed in making connections to mental health professionals abroad.

If a student is currently attending counseling or seeing a therapist regularly, they should consider the following:

If treatment is essential to functioning, a student must identify a therapist PRIOR TO their departure!

If a student is considering taking a hiatus from treatment, they should have a plan in the event they need to see someone while abroad. 

If a student is presently taking prescribed psychotropic medication:

The student must meet with their prescribing physician to discuss

Receive enough medication to last until the student returns. (Note: for some conditions and some medications, this is not possible)

Prescriptions from American doctors cannot be filled abroad. Obtain a referral to a psychiatrist or medical doctor abroad who can follow the student and write prescription refills.

Insurance Services in Shanghai

New York University requires that students studying away as part of their education program be covered under an NYU-sponsored health insurance plan. Students must continue to maintain health insurance coverage in their home countries in the event they need to return home.

For more information about these plans and benefits, please click here.

Health Requirements in Shanghai

Health Requirements for All Students

Meningococcal vaccine is required for all undergraduate students.

Yellow fever vaccine is required if you are traveling from a country with risk of yellow fever transmission. The Travel Medicine Department can help you assess this requirement.

Recommended Vaccinations

NYU Student Health Center – Travel Medicine Department

The Moses Center for Students with Disabilities

Students in need of disability-related accommodations who are considering global opportunities at NYU are strongly encouraged to contact the Moses Center before choosing a site. A Disability Specialist is able to discuss accessibility and accommodations at locations of interest.

If you have already chosen a site and are currently registered with the Moses Center, be sure to contact your Disability Specialist before you arrive at your site to discuss transferring accommodations.

If you have already chosen a site and are not registered with the Moses Center but anticipate you might need accommodations, please visit the Moses Center website to register. It is best to register before arriving at your site, but you can request accommodations at any time.