Allergy, Immunology & Travel Medicine
Our allergy, immunology, and travel medicine services are offered in-person and virtually, depending on your needs.
Allergy & Immunology Service
SHC's Allergy & Immunology Service provides full services for evaluation, education, testing and treatment of allergies and other immunologic conditions. The staff includes a board-certified allergist and registered nurses.
Allergy services are available to all NYU students. Routine and specialized vaccines and tuberculosis PPD testing are also available in this office.
- For first time evaluation, please schedule a visit with the Allergist to review testing strategies and plan for follow-up.
- If you are already receiving allergy desensitization injections and plan to continue treatment at the SHC, please call (212) 443-1188 to speak to a nurse before your first visit in order to arrange for appropriate transfer of information and sera.
The travel medicine staff at the Student Health Center will provide you with the latest health information and immunization services for your trip. If your travel plans warrant Yellow Fever vaccination, you will receive the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP).
Your consultation session will cover:
- Travel safety and tips for healthy travel
- Possible diseases based on your travel schedule (e.g. Hepatitis, Malaria, Yellow Fever)
- Safe food and water precautions
- What to know about cruise ships and air travel
- Avoiding illness and injury abroad
Depending upon your destination(s), you may also need prescriptions for Malaria and Traveler's Diarrhea (antibiotics) or altitude sickness. Check with your insurance carrier regarding coverage for these prescriptions.
You should schedule your travel consultation as soon as you know that you are traveling. The earlier you prepare for your trip abroad, the better!
- If you are planning to study abroad, schedule your travel consultation as soon as you are accepted into a program, but no later than 4-6 weeks in advance of your trip.
- For all other travels, please schedule your consultation at least 4-6 weeks in advance of your trip, if possible.
Please schedule an appointment online or contact Travel Medicine Services at (212) 443-1188.
There is no charge for the Travel Medicine consultation for NYU students.
However, travel vaccinations are often not covered or not covered fully by health insurance. You will be asked to pay at the time of the visit or you may be billed. Called ahead to your insurance to know what to expect.
If you have a record of your prior vaccinations, please bring them with you to the consultation. This will avoid unnecessary cost and duplication of vaccines that you may have already received.
Faculty & Staff
Travel consultations are available by appointment to NYU faculty and staff for NYU work/business related travel and a fee is charged to you or your insurance. Check with your insurance carrier regarding coverage for these services.