Action Zone Bystander Intervention
In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
– Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Our behaviors matter. Learn how you can make a difference—from small everyday acts of kindness to combating a culture that normalizes sexual violence. Through risk reduction strategies, Action Zone teaches you how to actively intervene in ways that feel safe and true to you and the situation. Discover your unique intervention style through personality quizzes, reflect on the impact you have on your communities, and help us create a culture of consent, respect, and positive sexuality at NYU (and beyond!)
Each semester, the Health Promotion team holds open trainings for members of the NYU community. Trainings are open to students, faculty, administrators, and staff.
Fall 2023 training dates:
- Friday, September 22, 2-4pm
- Friday, October 13, 2-4pm
- Friday, November 10, 2-4pm
All sessions take place virtually on Zoom - Register here!
Explore how you can be an ally in the NYU community with this 15-minute virtual module! Originally designed for NYU employees, this intro course is open to anyone who wants to learn some basics about bystander intervention but cannot attend the full training. (If you’re a student leader, this module won’t satisfy your mandatory training requirement.)
The module begins with safety tips from the Department of Campus Safety. Jump to Section 2, Intervention Training, to learn how you can help create a more welcoming and connected NYU through bystander intervention techniques.
Want to arm your group, class or organization with essential bystander intervention skills? Join a growing number of your friends and colleagues who are equipped to create a safer NYU community.
Groups who have hosted Action Zone include:
- Welcome Week Leaders
- Residence Hall Professional Staff
- Resident Assistants
- Alpha Kappa Delta Phi Sorority
- NYU Abu Dhabi, Student Resource Center
- Polytechnic School of Engineering, GLAM
- Active Minds at NYU
- Counseling and Wellness Services Staff
- Student Health Center Medical Staff
- CAS College Cohort Leaders
- Students for Sexual Respect
- Liberal Studies Student Leaders
- Liberal Studies Academic Advisors and Administrators
- Silver School of Social Work’s Sexual Violence Awareness Committee
Become an Action Zone Facilitator
Apply now to lead Action Zone Bystander Intervention training sessions for members of the NYU community. If you are graduating in 2023 or later and have already attended at least one session as a participant, then you are eligible to become a facilitator. The requirements are simple:
- Participate in a brief interview with a current member of the team
- Attend facilitator training
- Facilitate at least one Action Zone Bystander Intervention session per semester
Looking for other opportunities to expand your role as a kind and caring member of the NYU community? You can to identify an opioid overdose and administer life-saving naloxone by completing our Opioid Educaiton and Naloxone Training. After completing the training, you can pick up free naloxone kits at the SHC Pharmacy.