Action Zone Bystander Intervention
Action Zone trainings are temporarily suspended. Updated information for Fall 2021 will be posted by the start of the Fall semester.
In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
– Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Our behaviors matter. Learn how you can make a difference—from small everyday acts of kindness to combating a culture that normalizes sexual violence. Through risk reduction strategies, Action Zone teaches you how to actively intervene in ways that feel safe and true to you and the situation. Discover your unique intervention style through personality quizzes, reflect on the impact you have on your communities, and help us create a culture of consent, respect, and positive sexuality at NYU (and beyond!)
Each semester, the Health Promotion office also holds open trainings for members of the NYU community. Training is open to students, faculty, administrators, and staff.
Fall 2021 Training Dates
All sessions take place virtually on Zoom!
- Wednesday, September 29, 2021 2:00-4:00pm
- Wednesday, October 27, 2021 2:00-4:00pm
- Wednesday, November 17, 2021 2:00-4:00pm
Want to arm your group, class or organization with essential bystander intervention skills? Join a growing number of your friends and colleagues who are equipped to create a safer NYU community.
Groups who have hosted Action Zone include:
- Welcome Week Leaders
- Residence Hall Professional Staff
- Resident Assistants
- Alpha Kappa Delta Phi Sorority
- NYU Abu Dhabi, Student Resource Center
- Polytechnic School of Engineering, GLAM
- Active Minds at NYU
- Counseling and Wellness Services Staff
- Student Health Center Medical Staff
- CAS College Cohort Leaders
- Students for Sexual Respect
- Liberal Studies Student Leaders
- Liberal Studies Academic Advisors and Administrators
- Silver School of Social Work’s Sexual Violence Awareness Committee
Become an Action Zone Facilitator
Apply now to lead Action Zone Bystander Intervention training sessions for members of the NYU community. If you are graduating in 2021 or later and have already attended at least one session as a participant, then you are eligible to become a facilitator. The requirements are simple:
- Participate in a brief interview with a current member of the team
- Attend facilitator training
- Facilitate at least one Action Zone Bystander Intervention session per semester