Welcome to Liberal Studies!
Congratulations on your admission to the Liberal Studies Core Program at New York University. We are excited to have you join our community of students and scholars in Spring 2018. We commend you on your outstanding academic credentials. Only a small number of the more than 67,000 applicants to NYU have the opportunity to join the Core Program, and you should be very proud to be among them.
The Core Program allows you to explore NYU’s many offerings with the benefits of a traditional liberal arts college. Small classes and individualized advising encourage you to tailor the NYU experience to your goals and interests. The interdisciplinary academic foundation provided by our global great works curriculum and the classes selected in NYU’s other liberal arts colleges prepare you for transition into your chosen degree program as a junior.
Spring admission will allow you to graduate in May 2021, the same graduation date as students who enter in Fall 2017. Academic advisors are available to support you throughout your time in Liberal Studies, helping answer questions you might have about course selection, graduation requirements, academic options, leadership and service opportunities, and more. Please feel free to contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Student Experience
Liberal Studies Advising Groups offer first-year students the opportunity to establish a small community during orientation and throughout their first semester. The advising groups provide a welcoming and supportive environment through which to build relationships with your peers, your academic advisor, and your student leaders, in addition to learning important information about advisement and registration. In particular, your new student experience will include:
- Registration. Registration for the Spring 2018 semester opens for new students on Friday, November 17. You will be contacted by your academic advisor about the process for selecting classes in mid-October. You should also review the Core Program Registration Guide (forthcoming), which will help you prepare for registration, understand program requirements, and arrange for any placement exams and advanced standing credits.
- Liberal Studies Orientation. Orientation for Liberal Studies is scheduled from January 17-19, 2018. Together new students will learn more about the academic mission and values of Liberal Studies, and establish meaningful relationships with peers. Throughout orientation week, you will enjoy many events and programs, academic sessions and workshops, and activities designed to help you acclimate to Liberal Studies and New York City. You will receive a detailed schedule for orientation week in November 2017. For information about orientation, as well as other important dates and checklists preparing for your arrival, visit NYU NextStop.
- Student Leaders. The Liberal Studies Student Leader program is designed to assist students new to the Washington Square campus with their academic, social, and personal transition through helpful upper-level peer mentors to each Advising Group.
- New Student Reading. All first-year students in Liberal Studies are assigned a special reading during the fall, “Between the World and Me” by Ta-Nehisi Coates. Important themes and topics from the book will be discussed during the opening session of orientation on Wednesday, January 17. As orientation week approaches, more detailed information will be provided in an email message from your advisor.
Residence Hall Move-In: January 16, 2018
For students living on-campus, look for an email from the the Office of Housing and Residential Life which will provide you information on your housing assignment, as well as move-in instructions on January 10, 2018.
NYU Spring Welcome: January 22 - February 16, 2018
NYU Spring Welcome hosts over 200 events for new and returning students! The welcome activities take place during the first few weeks of the spring semester, offering a series of special events, information sessions and meetups for all students to kickstart the new semester. Recommended activities will be highlighted in welcome materials from your advisor, though you are welcome to attend as much as possible. For a preview, click here.
Upcoming Communications (Anticipated)
Throughout the summer and fall, we will outreach to help keep you informed about opportunities, expectations and deadlines, preparing for your enrollment with NYU Liberal Studies. Please remember to check your NYU email account periodically, and watch out for messages from your advisor.
- June Welcome Message from Advisor & Inquiry about Gap Semester Plans
- July Webinar about Student Life in LS
- August Webinar about Study Away Opportunities in LS
- September Information about Virtual Seminars Offered during Fall 2017
- October Webinar about Registration for Spring 2018
- November Course Selection & Registration for Spring 2018
- December Preparing for Your Arrival
- January New Student Orientation