Leadership Initiative Mentoring Groups
Applications are currently closed. Stay tuned at the start of the Spring semester when applications for the next cohort go live.
The NYU Leadership Initiative Mentoring Group programs are designed for undergrads early in their NYU careers seeking to gain a greater understanding of who they are and what they want to do at NYU, engage deeply in activities that matter to them, and build meaningful relationships. We offer two semester-long programs that correspond to different stages of leadership growth: Leading Yourself and Leading with Others.
Each mentoring group offers...
- Four intensive, interactive workshops focused on building specific leadership skills. To learn more about the focus of each workshop, click here for Leading Yourself and here for Leading with Others.
- Two individual mentoring sessions with a leadership educator who will help you make sense of where you are, where you want to be and discover your path forward.
- A peer network of 15-20 undergraduate students across all schools at NYU
- Access to Global Awards advising
- Access to NYU Leadership Initiative workshops and events
Through these program offerings, students leave the program feeling energized about their future commitments and confident in their ability to piece together a purposeful NYU experience.
Why Mentoring Groups?
The foundational skills offered through the mentoring groups are valuable to future careers, advanced leadership opportunities and successful applications for global awards and graduate school. Participating in one of the NYU Leadership Initiative Mentoring Groups will help you...
- Learn skills essential for your future career: Employers list leadership, teamwork and critical thinking as the key essential skills in new hires. The mentoring groups offer an opportunity to begin building these key skills early in your NYU trajectory. [Source: Job Outlook 2018, National Association of Colleges and Employers].
- Be more prepared for advanced leadership opportunities: Evaluations from Leadership Initiative alumni confirm that a better understanding of how to lead self and others gives them the confidence and motivation needed to create impact in projects, groups, organizations, and communities that matter to them. The mentoring groups are also an important precursor to our Leadership Fellows Program, a year-long opportunity to be offered in Fall 2019 that prepares students to lead projects with impact.
- Be more prepared to write successful global awards and graduate school applications: NYU students have been awarded many of the nation's most prestigious and competitive fellowships, including the Rhodes, Truman, Marshall and Fulbright Scholarships. The foundational skills offered through the mentoring groups are critical for students seeking to develop a sense of sustained coherence to their undergraduate career by pursuing opportunities that demonstrate a consistent commitment to communities or projects which resonate with their academic focus. We believe that this sense of sustained coherence is what enables students to be discerning and daring about how they shape their education at NYU, and ultimately, to craft successful applications for global awards and graduate school.