Mindfulness Resources and Media
Basic Instructions for Meditation
- Make sure to eliminate distractions you may have brought with you to the meditation suite before entering the room by turning off any electronic devices you have.
- Choose a spot in the room where you feel comfortable and are not too crowded by fellow meditators, and select a cushion if you wish.
- Relax your body into a position that feels comfortable to you. This can be sitting cross-legged, but it does not have to be. Make sure that you have a straight back so that you can take deep breaths, and adjust your position as you strive to eliminate any tension in your body.
- Begin to focus on your breathing, the feeling of inhaling a sustaining breath of air, holding that air in your lungs for a few seconds, and then slowly exhaling. You may experience racing thoughts, fatigue, or restlessness — this is all normal. Keep bringing your attention back to the inhale and exhale of your breath.
- Once you are somewhat settled in your breath, notice what is happening in the room and in your body — including sounds, sensations, thoughts, emotions — without getting carried away by them. When you do get carried away, simply bring your attention back to your breath and the present moment with gentleness.
- Don't give up! There is no such thing as meditating “wrong.” The more you practice, the easier it gets to stay present.
10% Happier is a clear, simple approach to meditation with bestselling author Dan Harris and the most respected teachers and scientists on the planet. As an NYU community member, you have access to a suite of classes and meditations absolutely free. Your access will get you a subset of what's available with a full subscription to the app. It includes three full courses with two of the world's leading meditation teachers—The Basics with Joseph Goldstein, Focus with Sharon Salzberg, and Compassion with Joseph Goldstein—as well as about three-dozen of the most played meditation tracks, which can be found by looking for those meditations without lock icons on them in the app.
To take advantage of the free content on this app as a part of the NYU partnership, click this link and download the app.
- Insight Timer Free.
- Stop Breathe Think Free.
- Omvana Free & premium content.
- Smiling Mind Free & premium content.
- MindApps.se Free & premium content.
- Calm Limited free content & 1-year discount on premium for students
- Headspace Currently $9.99/year for students.
- Buddhify $2.99-4.99.
People of Color Resources
- New York Insight Meditation Center's POC Sangha. POC. Monday/weekly, 7-9pm. Chelsea.
- Brooklyn Zen Center POC Sangha. POC. 2nd Saturday & 4th Sunday, 1:30-3:30pm.
- Love Circle Sangha. BIPOC and invited White Comrades/Allies. 2nd Sunday & 4th Saturday/monthly, 2-5pm. Gowanus/Brooklyn.
- New York Insight Brooklyn People of Color and Allies. POC and White Allies. 2nd & 4th Monday/monthly, 7-9pm. Chelsea.
- MNDFL POC Group. POC. Monthly. Greenwich Village/Williamsburg.
- People of Color Tea Group. POC. Bimonthly.
LGBTQ Meditation & Mindfulness Resources
- New York Insight Meditation Center's LGBTQ Sangha. 4th Wednesday/monthly, 6:30-8:30pm. Chelsea.
- Shambala New York City Queer Dharma Sangha. Saturdays/bimonthly, 6-8pm. Chelsea.
- Blue Cliff Monastery. Ongoing personal and themed retreats. $40+/night for students. Pine Bush, NY (2 hours north of NYC).
- Insight Meditation Retreat for 18–32 Year Olds at the Insight Meditation Society. July 24 - July 31, 2019. $140. Barre, MA.
- IMS has discounts for 18-26 year olds on select other retreats.
- Vipassana Meditation Center. Regular retreats. Free. Shelburne, MA.
- Inward Bound Mindfulness Education. Teen (15-19) retreats during school breaks. Sliding scale fee. Locations across the US.
- Jon Kabat Zinn on Mindfulness
- Meditation for Beginners
- Andy Puddicombe — All it takes is 10 Mindful Minutes
- Tara Brach on Pausing
- Guided Meditations by Tara Brach
- Free Guided Audio Meditations by UCLA
- Meditation Oasis
- Chopra Guided Meditations
- What Now?: Meditation for Your Twenties and Beyond by Yael Shy*
- Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn**
- No Mud, No Lotus by Thich Naht Hahn
- Work, Sex, Money by Chögyam Trungpa**
- The Mindful Therapist by Daniel J. Siegel* **
- True Refuge by Tara Brach**
- Real Happiness at Work by Sharon Salzberg**
- Guided Meditations for Difficult Times by Jack Kornfield
- The Art of Happiness by His Holiness the Dalai Lama*
- Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics by Dan Harris and Jeff Warren with Carlye Adler**
*Book available at Bobst library
Related Studies and Research
- Mindfulness Practice Leads to Increases in Regional Brain Gray Matter Density
- Regulation of the Neural Circuitry of Emotion by Compassion Meditation: Effects of Meditative Expertise
- Mindfulness Training Targets Neurocognitive Mechanisms of Addiction at the Attention-Appraisal Emotion Interface
- Antidepressant Monotherapy vs Sequential Pharmacotherapy and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy, or Placebo, for Relapse Prophylaxis in Recurren Depression