NYU LGBTQ Student Center
Stop by Kimmel 602 to chat, find a good book or movie to borrow for the weekend, or just hang out with other students and staff. We invite you to wander through our virtual center, check out our clubs and upcoming events, and contact us if you have any questions or comments about anything you see (or don't see) here. Welcome!
The Center Accomplishes its Mission by:
- Creating a welcoming environment for all people interested in developing their understanding of LGBTQ issues.
- Helping students to build communities of care, inclusion, support, and trust.
- Recognizing and exploring the ability, age, ethnicity, gender, health, language, national origin, race, religion, and socioeconomic differences in the LGBTQ student population.
- Celebrating how differences in the LGBTQ student population can enrich campus and local communities.
- Providing direct service to LGBTQ students and their allies in the forms of advising, advocacy, career networking, counseling and referral.
- Offers educational and cultural programming, Safe Zone training, event sponsorship and co-sponsorship, leadership development, and weekly discussion groups.
- Providing consultation, education and training, and resources to faculty, staff, University offices, and others interested in ensuring that their services are inclusive and supportive of LGBTQ issues.
- Providing a comprehensive range of information and resources to all members of the University community about issues that impact the experiences of LGBTQ students and their allies.
- Working with other institutions and with community agencies to facilitate student development.
- Conducting on-going needs assessment, campus climate assessments, and regular evaluations of the Center and its services.
Statement of Respect
In order to ensure that the NYU LGBTQ Student Center is an affirming, safe, and welcoming location for all individuals, you take on numerous responsibilities once you enter our center and lounge space.
These responsibilities include:
- Maintaining an open mind
- Promoting all forms of diversity
- Striving to understand in lieu of judging an individual or group based on any condition, characteristic, or circumstance
- Using affirming and inclusive language
- Sustaining open and honest relationships
- Making an effort to positively influence and encourage all people
- Paying careful attention to ensure that unrecognized groups, ideas, and/or concerns receive the attention they deserve
- Challenging any ideas or concerns which will not contribute to the community in a positive or constructive manner
- Recognizing that difference of opinion enriches our learning and should never be an impetus for malicious conflict
- Recognizing that all of the aforementioned behaviors are integral to enabling the respectful treatment of others
Any act of oppression, prejudice, intolerance, or disrespect is unacceptable. Should you feel an individual or group’s behavior does not conform to these guidelines, please bring the situation to the attention of an LGBTQ Center staff member as soon as possible.