About the CmC
The NYU Social Entrepreneurship Program invites all NYU undergraduate students who want to change the world to participate in the Changemaker Challenge (CmC), an opportunity to fulfill their vision of sustainable and scalable social change. Through a comprehensive array of workshops and resources, students establish non-profits, for-profits or hybrid organizations that bring about positive social impact in communities across the country and around the world. Winning teams can receive up to $10,000 in capital, a host of program-sponsored resources, and the chance to work with 180 Degrees Consulting - NYU for a semester of consulting services.
Who is Eligible?
- All NYU undergraduate students who are enrolled in a full-time program, in good academic standing*, and will remain at the NYC campus for the full fall semester.
- NYU undergraduate students who are passionate, ethical and committed to empowering others and making a positive, social impact.
- Teams must contain a minimum of two students.
How Does it Work?
- Sign up for emails and review the timeline - As a first step, sign up for the email list to receive updates and important reminders. Then carefully review the timeline for important submission dates and required workshops throughout the CmC.
- Attend an Information Session and the Design Thinking workshop - Any interested students should attend an Information Session and the Design Thinking workshop in September to learn more and help refine your idea. Click here for dates and to RSVP.
- Submit an Executive Summary - In order to apply, teams must submit an Executive Summary that outlines the venture idea. Teams must adhere to the Executive Summary Guidelines in order to be eligible. Click here for guidelines and check out a sample Executive Summary from past CmC Winners here.
- Submit a Business Plan - All teams that submit a valid executive summary will be invited to create an in-depth business plan. Teams will receive a template, coaching, and workshops to help them build their idea.
- Pitch the Idea - Up to five teams that submit business plans will be invited to pitch their venture idea to a selection panel for the chance at up to $10,000 in funding.
What Types of Ventures May Receive Funding?
- Ventures may be any student-created, student-led organization, program or business that benefits a community and has a measurable, positive, social impact.
- Ventures may be for profit, non-profit or anything in between.
- Ventures must be sustainable, scalable, credible, ethical, and must contain clear and attainable goals.
- Ventures must be completely new initiatives or a major new initiative of an existing organization.
What does the winner receive? Selected Seed Grant Winner(s) will receive seed grants of up to $1,000 and access to program-sponsored support, resources and networks.
One Grand Prize Winner will receive up to $10,000 in capital, access to program-sponsored support and resources, and the title of 2017-2018 Changemaker Challege Overall Best Venture. This year, we are proud to partner with 180 Degrees Consulting - NYU to provide the Grand Prize Winner with the opportunity to work on a semester-long consulting project to help reach their goals.
The NYU Social Entrepreneurship Program would like to thank 180 Degrees Consulting-NYU for their support and participation in the 2017-2018 Changemaker Challenge.
*Good academic standing is defined as having a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or greater. The Reynolds Program staff reserves the right to disqualify any applicant who does not meet the minimum grade requirement and/or is ineligible to be enrolled at NYU as a result of a disciplinary action. Students who have pending criminal action against them are not eligible to compete as finalists.