Welcome to NYU Shanghai! We’re delighted that you’ll be spending a semester or year with us and can’t wait to greet you in Shanghai. In the meantime, this page will guide you through everything you need to get ready for your term abroad. We’ve mirrored the acceptance letter very closely, so please be sure to use that as an additional reference.
Confirm your spot in the program
You must accept your offer of admission in order to confirm your intention to enroll via your Enrollment Portal.
An Important Note: All students are recommended to confirm their spot within 2 weeks of receiving notification of acceptance. Please understand that enrollment capacity is limited and if the program reaches capacity before we receive your reservation, you will be placed on a wait list.
Complete the immigration process
NYU's Office of Global Services (OGS) will be your main contact in navigating the immigration and visa process. Review step-by-step instructions on what you need to do on the Visa for NYU Shanghai page.
Apply for Additional Funding
Financial aid, grants, and scholarships are available to both NYU and Non-NYU upperclassmen who study abroad at the NYU Global Academic Centers.
NYU students with a current FAFSA on file with the Office of Financial Aid may apply for additional financial aid for their semester abroad. Non-NYU students who receive financial aid are encouraged to work with a financial aid adviser from their home school to inquire about transferring financial aid funding to NYU via a consortium agreement.
Update NYUHome ASAP
NYU Students: We'll send all e-mail communication to your NYU e-mail address (not your personal or Stern address), so check that account regularly or activate mail forwarding. In addition, make sure that your addresses and phone numbers in Albert are updated so that we're able to contact you with important information throughout the semester.
Visiting Students: You created an NYUHome account when applying for the program. Please make sure you keep all contact information current and check your NYUHome e-mail account regularly.
NYU Students: NYU Housing in NYC
NYU Students: If you currently live in NYU Housing, the housing office will be in touch with via email to confirm your cancellation. Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The housing preferences form for housing abroad will be available through the online forms system. Please note that housing abroad is guaranteed and required for all students.
Attend Pre-Departure Orientation
NYU Students: Attending a Pre-Departure Orientation is required for all students. At the PDO, you will learn about courses, student life, excursions, and much more.
Visiting Students: If you’re nearby and able to attend any on-campus events, we’d love to have you. However, we’re also committed to making sure that those of you who don’t live near New York City are kept in the loop. Here are a few ways we ensure that you’re just as well-informed as NYU students:
- We will send you regular e-mails with comprehensive “what to do” lists and details and post information about the pre-departure process to the site specific blogs.
- Our staff is always available to provide prompt assistance to any questions you have by e-mail or phone.
- We can put you in contact with students who attend our programs so that you can get inside information on what to expect. To speak with a former student from your program, please e-mail email@example.com.
All students will be required to participate in the Pre-Departure Orientation. The date of that will be communicated to students directly.
Register for classes
Please view the course selection within the Academics Section of this website. Please note these courses are subject to change. Days, times and call numbers will be provided closer to registration.
Official Course listings will be available through http://www.nyu.edu/registrar/.
Book your flight
All students are responsible for arranging their own transportation for their semester abroad. Students must plan to arrive on Arrival Day as indicated on the calendar.
Housing is available only for the dates of the program so if you plan to arrival early or leave late, please be aware you will be responsible for your own accommodations.
For tips and requirements about flights, please see the Admitted Students blog.
Submit all required forms
All students are required to submit a combination of paper and online forms. These forms are used to collect needed information for your upcoming semester like housing preferences, immigration preparation, and arrival itinerary.
For more information about required forms and relevant links please see the Admitted Students blog.
- Bring any brand name items you rely on
- Save room for souveniers
- More about Getting There
Sending Packages to NYU Shanghai
Instructions for Sending Packages to NYU Shanghai
MAIL & PACKAGE POLICY
Effective: Fall 2018
MAIL/PACKAGE GUIDELINES FOR ALL RESIDENCE HALLS
● The residence halls retain the right to refuse the acceptance of any package that is in violation of university policies.
● The residence halls do not accept Cash on Delivery packages or send out packages.
● The residence halls do not accept perishables (take-out food, frozen food, fresh milk, flowers, fruit, etc), laundry/dry cleaning or any items that are deemed as a safety hazard.
● Due to limited package storage space, packages must be picked up as soon as possible, but no later than seven days from the date of the notification email.
● Students who do not pick up packages within seven days may lose the privilege of package services at the Resource Center. The resource center will not accept any new packages should a student have unclaimed packages for more than seven days.
JINQIAO RESIDENCE HALL
All mail/packages are received by the Resource Center, which located on the first floor of Green Center Tower 2.
All mail/packages received by the Resource Center must include the student’s building number, room number and full (legal) name. For Chinese students’ names, pinyin is required in addition to Chinese characters. The following address format must be used, otherwise mail will NOT be accepted at the Resource Center. The Resource Center will only accept packages labeled as “Tower 2,” “Tower 3,” or “Tower 4.” Packages labeled any other Tower will not be accepted.
Tower 2: (Coded as JQ1A)
Name XX, Rm. XX, Building 2, Green Center, Lane 3680, Zhangyang Rd., Pudong, Shanghai
Tower 3: (Coded as JQ2B)
Name XX, Rm. XX, Building 3, Green Center, Lane 3680, Zhangyang Rd., Pudong, Shanghai
Tower 4: (Coded as JQ2A)
Name XX, Rm. XX, Building 4, Green Center, Lane 3680, Zhangyang Rd., Pudong, Shanghai
Mail/package(s) MAY ONLY be picked up after it has been logged into the Notifi Mail System by the Resource Center staff.
● Mail and packages may not be picked up until an official notification is received to the student’s NYU email address.
● Notification of delivery from the courier is not a confirmation that package is logged and ready for pick up. Students may only pick up a package once the NYU Shanghai Notifii email has been received indicating it is ready for pickup.
● The NYU Card is required to receive mail at the Resource Center. Mail and packages can only be received by the recipient.
PUSAN RESIDENCE HALL
All mail/packages are received by the express lockers in front of the residence hall. When the lockers are at full capacity, students will need to obtain their packages on their own. Only packages that can fit in the express lockers can be accepted; students wishing to receive a large package will need to obtain their packages on their own.
All mail/packages must include the student’s room number, full (legal) name, and a working Chinese cell phone number. Once a student’s package has arrived, the student will receive a notification via text message to the cell phone number included on the package. For Chinese students’ names, pinyin is required in addition to Chinese characters. The following address format should be used:
Name XX, Rm. XX, Guanyu, 895 Pusan Rd., Pudong, Shanghai
● Students must pick up their package within seven days of its arrival. Packages not picked up within seven days may be discarded.
● Students must can go to the express lockers to pick up their package anytime to pick up their package by entering their phone number.