Internal and External Audits for Sponsored Programs
Handbook Section and Topic Page Links
Section 1: Introduction
Section 2: Proposal and Budget Development
- Charging Administrative Expenses
- Accounting for Unallowable Costs
- Application of Facilities and Administrative (F&A) Cost Rates
- Facilities and Administrative (F&A) Cost Waivers
- Personnel Costs
- Fringe Benefit Rates
- Institutional Base Salary
- Cost Sharing
Section 3: Managing Awards
- Opening or Modifying a Project
- Prior Approvals
- No-Cost Extension
- Cost Transfers
- Effort Reporting
- Salary Cap Administration
- Program Income
- Clinical Trials Financial Management
- Managing Sponsor Payments
Section 4: Travel and Procurement
- Domestic and Foreign Travel
- Memberships, Subscriptions, and Professional Activities
- Managing Subawards
- Small Business Program
- Managing Equipment Acquired with Federal Funding
- Recharge Center Policy
Section 5 Closing an Award
New York University (NYU) is subject to financial and compliance audits from external sponsors. Annually, there are audits (e.g. A-133) performed by an independent audit firm retained by the Board of Trustees. Audits and other forms of financial reviews are also performed by governmental and nongovernmental agencies for sponsored research.
All audits of sponsored programs at NYU are coordinated by Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA). Any Principal Investigator (PI) or Department contacted by a sponsor intending to perform an audit (or any form of financial review) of a sponsored project should immediately contact SPA.
Internal Audit also performs audits of Sponsored Programs on a cyclical basis. They perform these audits to ensure compliance with sponsor terms and conditions as well as NYU policies and procedures.
All audits at NYU should begin with an "entrance conference," normally coordinated by SPA; the purpose and plan for the audit should be discussed with the faculty, department, school, and/ or institute responsible for the award(s) under review.
SPA 018: Internal and External Audits
Open SPA 018: Internal and External Audits (NYUHome login required)
This course will discuss audits and will cover the Internal and External Audits Policy for Sponsored Programs as outlined in the SPA Handbook.
Duration: 18:00 minutes