Sponsored Programs Administration Resources
Handbook Section and Topic Page Links
Section 1: Introduction
Section 2: Proposal and Budget Development
- Charging Administrative Expenses
- Accounting for Unallowable Costs
- Application of Facilities and Administrative (F&A) Cost Rates
- Facilities and Administrative (F&A) Cost Waivers
- Personnel Costs
- Fringe Benefit Rates
- Institutional Base Salary
- Cost Sharing
Section 3: Managing Awards
- Opening or Modifying a Project
- Prior Approvals
- No-Cost Extension
- Cost Transfers
- Effort Reporting
- Salary Cap Administration
- Program Income
- Clinical Trials Financial Management
- Managing Sponsor Payments
Section 4: Travel and Procurement
- Domestic and Foreign Travel
- Memberships, Subscriptions, and Professional Activities
- Managing Subawards
- Small Business Program
- Managing Equipment Acquired with Federal Funding
- Recharge Center Policy
Section 5 Closing an Award
Internal & External Resources
Post-award administration needs frequently require research and comparison of information. To this end, our Handbook Resources provide Principal Investigators, department administrators and other employees involved in post-award administration with material that assists with these research and comparison processes.
- Links to internal NYU offices and websites
- Links to external Federal resources, regulations and guidelines
- References that assist with post-award accounting, costing and budgeting
Tables & Handouts
Includes: Acceptable Direct Costs List, Activities Included/Excluded in University Effort, Research Terms and Conditions Prior Approval Matrix, SPA School Assignments
Acceptable Direct Costs List
- Examples of acceptable direct costs that meet OMB Uniform Guidance requirements and are "identifiable to a particular cost objective" are listed and explained.
- Download the Acceptable Direct Costs List (PDF)
Activities Included/Excluded in University Effort Table
- University Effort is the sum of all professional activities for which NYU compensates an individual. This chart describes activies included and excluded in calculating University effort.
- Download the Activities Included/Excluded in University Effort Table (PDF)
Identifying Unallowable Costs under Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) 505
- The rules prescribed by OMB Uniform Guidance and recommended procedures for selected items of cost. Some of these items are unallowable as direct or indirect costs for sponsored programs (i.e., alumni activities). Others require special treatment (e.g., student administration and services). Therefore, these items must be segregated to ensure compliance with CAS 505.
- Download Identifying Unallowable Costs under Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) 505 - (PDF)
Direct and Indirect Cost Matrix
- For administrative and accounting purposes, costs are grouped into two categories: direct and indirect. Some costs however, are not discretely direct or indirect and may appear in either category, depending on the circumstances. This matrix indicates when a particular cost is normally charged directly or indirectly to sponsored projects. This table provides examples and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Download the Direct and Indirect Cost Matrix (PDF)
Research Terms and Conditions Prior Approval Matrix
- Chart that details research terms and conditions prior approval requirements.
- Download the Research Terms and Conditions Prior Approval Matrix (PDF)
Spa School Assignments
Includes: Fly America Act Waiver Checklist, NYU Sponsored Programs Administration Grants Close-out Checklist (for SPA use only)
Fly America Act Waiver Checklist
- This checklist can be used to determine if a waiver of the Fly America Act (41 CFR Part 301-10) could be allowable under the federal regulations.
Sponsored Programs Administration Grants Close-out Checklist (for SPA use only)
- Complete this checklist when expenses on Budget Summary Report (BSR) match the final financial reports/invoices submitted. Confirm pending adjustments have posted and attach BSR as support. The only pending item allowed at the time of closeout is outstanding payments. Items to include with this checklist are (1) updated BSR and (2) Cash Position.
Salary Cap Administration
Salary Cap Calculator
The Salary Cap Calculator has a template which shows the basic logic of rate-of-pay methodology. This methodology is required for compliance with the over-the-cap regulations. Here are a few things to consider when using the calculator:
The calculator template shows the calculation for one month only. Additional months may be needed depending on your individual situation.
In the example tab, jobs and retro adjustments are shown. You may have more or fewer jobs and adjustments than shown. Additional lines may be needed, as appropriate.
Appointments, and the subsequent DHHS Salary Cap analyses and T&E Certifications, must reflect payments in the periods that effort was expended.
A recalculation of the over-the-cap analysis is necessary whenever there is a change in the appointment distribution.
For detailed information on current or past salary caps, please visit the DHHS website.
Any questions or concerns regarding cap administration should be addressed to Sponsored Programs Administration.
Federal & Institutional (External) Links for Post-Award Grants Administration
Links to United States federal website resources to support post-award administration.
- Expanded Authority Summary (PDF)
- Federal Acquisition Regulation
- Federal Register Notice - Final Notice of Standard Terms and Conditions for Research Grants Research Terms and Conditions Agency Implementation Statements (PDF)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Glossary and Acronym List
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Grant Policy Statement
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Salary Cap Summary
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Notice: Salary Limitation on Grants Cooperative Agreements, and Contracts
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Salary Limitation on Grants, Cooperative Agreements, and Contracts
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Acronym List
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Glossary
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Standard Definitions
- OMB Uniform Guidance
- Research Terms and Conditions (PDF) - Federal Demonstration Project Terms of Award
- U.S. Department of Defense Information on GSA City Pairs
New York University (Internal) Links for Post-Award Grants Administration
Links to offices, policies and resources internal to New York University involved in the support of post-award administration.
- Asset Management Policies and Procedures
- Business Expense Policy
- Costing & Analysis (SPA)
- Cost Sharing on Faculty Effort on Grants Policy
- Distinguishing between Gifts and Sponsored Awards
- Faculty Handbook
- Guidelines on Faculty Effort
- NYU Traveler
- Office of Sponsored Programs Website (OSP)
- Policy on Retention of and Access to Research Data
- Postdoctoral Appointments Policy for NYU Washington Square
- Principal Investigators Guide - Section 2
- Purchasing Policies and Procedure Manual
- Retention and Destruction of Records Policy