Washington Square Housing for International Visitors
The Office of the Provost would like to help NYU faculty host researchers from institutions abroad. The hosting unit will be responsible for rental costs. This program is designed for visits of medium duration: it is expected that visitors will be at the Square for a minimum of one month, but less than a full academic year.
- In cases of a visitor coming for less than a month, a full month’s rental must be executed, in compliance with New York City law regarding short term rentals.
- The available housing is not appropriate for families or visitors traveling with children or pets.
- It is not possible for prospective renters or sponsoring units to view apartments prior to booking.
- The hosting department is responsible for keeping the GRI office updated of the visitor’s arrival and departure information.
- In the event of tenant non-payment or damages to the apartment, the hosting department will be responsible for the rental cost and/or any necessary repairs.
- Visitors may never sub-lease their apartments.
- These apartments are intended for short-term stays, not as long-term housing solutions, nor for repeating long-term stays or annual visits.
- While it may be possible to host repeat guests, priority will be given to first-time visitors. Repeat visitors may utilize these units for a maximum of three short-term stays (1-3 months). Those who have stayed longer may not be eligible to utilize the apartments again, but will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- These apartments are intended to host visiting faculty and professionals only, not visiting students or postdoctoral researchers.