Summer Dissertation Writing Program 2023
The 2023 Summer Dissertation Writing Program application period is now closed.
Doctoral students in any discipline and in the advanced stages of dissertation writing are eligible to apply to summer intensive dissertation-writing workshops held at the Berlin, London, Madrid and Washington, D.C. institutes. Each site will be able to host an average of six doctoral students for a period of six weeks. Students from all fields and disciplines are welcome to apply to these workshops.
The Berlin, London, Madrid, and D.C. workshops will be held Monday, June 5 to Friday, July 14. Applicants must be available for the entire program to be considered. The deadline for Summer 2023 Dissertation Writing Program Applications is Thursday, March 2, 2023.
Only students at an advanced stage in their dissertation writing will be eligible for these workshops. We strongly recommend that students submit an application once they have completed two or more chapters and plan to defend in the following fall or early spring semester.
Participants in the summer dissertation workshop will have travel and dormitory housing provided. A flat rate per diem subsidy, set at $50 per day, will also be provided to defray other costs. On-site participants will share office space and have modest administrative support during the course of the program. Participants in the dissertation workshops will be required to commit to work intensively and exclusively on the writing of their dissertations. They are also required to be in full-time residence without the interruption of family or friends.
A faculty advisor will be on-site to provide general advice (and moral support). The structure of each workshop will be determined by the needs of the group. Students can expect to participate in weekly workshop-style discussions led by the advisor, as well as one-on-one meetings at least once a week. Students are expected to be in the final write-up stages and thus not need any topic-specific research support.
- This program is intended for students who aim to file their dissertations no later than the end of the following fall or early spring.
- The dates provided are those of the program itself. Participants must check into the dormitory on the Saturday before the program begins (but no earlier).
- Participants must be in attendance for the entire duration of the program, and be in residence at the Institute during the week. It will not be possible for participants to travel during weekdays.
- Students should choose a city where they have no previous experience. Former GRI fellows can expect to be placed in a site where they have not held a fellowship.
- Housing is intended for workshop participants only. Overnight guests are not permitted.
- Students are ineligible for any future GRI fellowships after attending a summer dissertation workshop.