Faculty Research Initiatives
The Office of the Provost invites individual faculty from all schools and departments to request funding from GRI to support international events (conferences, workshops, exchanges, etc.), particularly those that will establish research links with one or more of NYU's global institutes and their faculty. These events can be mounted at the institutes or Washington Square (or both). Proposals for events that would not find ready or obvious support from other sources will be given priority.
- Applicants must have a finalized date and venue at the time of applying, and be prepared to submit a budget upon request.
- Applicants are advised that if approved, they may receive a grant for less than the requested amount. In such cases, it is expected that event holders will either look to additional sources of funding, or scale back the event. Grant decisions are final.
- Events held at NYU Centers must be scheduled with the site. Event organizers must work within the parameters of the NYU Center with regards to capacity, vaccination requirements (if applicable), and staffing, and must be prepared to provide staff to help host the event, if required.
- GRI provides funds in support of these events, not administrative support for their organization.
- Funds provided by this program cannot be used towards personnel or other staff-related costs, nor can they be used to pay honoraria or stipends. As such, event budgets must not include personnel-related costs in the requested amounts.
- First-time applicants will be given priority. Applications for repeating or annual events will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Applications are considered on a rolling basis, however no further funding can be granted once the yearly budget has been allocated (usually towards the end of the spring semester). Please submit your application well in advance of your event.
- A detailed report outlining how funds were used must be provided no later than six weeks after the event, along with supporting receipts. Any unspent funds must be returned to the GRI.
- The funding in this program is not intended for undergraduate or student programming. While programs may include students, the grants cannot be used to cover student-related expenses.
- This program is not intended to fund annual or repeating events. While occasional exceptions are possible, these are more likely if more than one year has elapsed.