Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content
Office of the University Registrar banner

Veterans Benefits

Program Update

As of March 1, 2013 New York University has become a participant of the Department of Defense (DoD) Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). More information on the MOU program

Supplemental and Concurrent Enrollments

A student may take courses at more than one school that apply to his or her degree. The school that will grant the degree is the student's "primary" school. All other schools are "secondary" schools. More information on supplemental and concurrent enrollments

Various Department of Veterans Affairs programs provide educational benefits for spouses, sons, and daughters of deceased or permanently disabled veterans as well as for veterans and in-service personnel, subject to certain restrictions. Under most programs the student pays tuition and fees at the time of registration but will receive a monthly allowance from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Click here for information on the Yellow Ribbon Program

Veterans with service-connected disabilities may be qualified for educational benefits under Chapter 31. An applicant for this program is required to submit to the Department of Veterans Affairs a letter of acceptance from the college he or she wishes to attend. On meeting the requirements for the Department of Veterans Affairs, the applicant will be given an Authorization for Education (VA Form 22-1905), which must be presented to the Office of the University Registrar, 25 West Fourth Street, 1st Floor, before registering for course work.

Allowance checks are usually sent directly to the veteran by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans and eligible dependents should contact the Office of the University Registrar each term for which they desire Veterans Affairs certification of enrollment.

All veterans are expected to reach the objective (bachelor's, master's, doctorate or certificate) authorized by the Department of Veterans Affairs with the minimum number of points required. The Department of Veterans Affairs may not authorize allowance payments for credits that are in excess of scholastic requirements, that are taken for audit purposes only, or for which nonpunitive grades are received.

Applications and further information may be obtained from the student's regional office of the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you need additional guidance regarding the application process, you may contact us at the Office of the University Registrar:
Clara Fonteboa - (212) 998-4823
Jose Pineiro - (212) 998-4830

Since interpretation of regulations governing veterans' benefits is subject to change, veterans should keep in touch with the Department of Veterans Affairs website

Are you waiting for your VA Education Benefits?

The Department of Veterans Affairs has made funds available for Veteran students who are still awaiting their education benefit claim to be processed. Eligible veterans can receive up to a $3000 advance, which will be recouped from future benefit payments. If you are a student who applied for one of VA's education programs and have not yet received your monthly benefit payment as of August 1, 2011, you can request a one-time advance payment at your local VA Regional Office or through VA's website,