The Department of Campus Safety in conjunction with the Office of Global Programs works to create a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors to pursue their educational and professional goals and aspirations. A New York-based public safety officer is available 24/7 to assist with international emergencies (212-998-2222).

For assistance in extremely rare situations, the University has contracted with a leading provider of international customer care services, which includes evacuation services.

Before you depart for the semester you will be instructed on how to use NYU Traveler, a Web-based information collection tool where flight and travel details, local and US telephone numbers, and emergency contact information can be stored so that NYU staff can assist you if needed.


Pickpockets in Prague are everywhere so stay aware of your belongings, especially in crowded, touristy areas! Prostitution and pimps are prevalent at night around Wenceslas Square, and there is a chance you may be approached and conned out of money. Be very aware of your surroundings, on buses and trains and when walking through crowds. Be concerned with not only what people may be taking from you, but also what they might be giving to you! Check your overhead compartments and do not touch ANYTHING that is not yours.

Violent crimes in Prague are not frequent, but it is helpful to remember that the city is less diverse than parts of the United States. Our best advice is to stay away from ‘non-stop Herna’ bars in which students have encountered anti-Semitism and racism.

A good thing to buy and bring with you on trips is a lock in case you need to use a locker at an airport, train station or camp grounds. Sometimes you can rent them, but not always.

U.S. Embassy

Tržiště 15, 118 01 Praha 1, Czech Republic

Tel: +420) 257 022 000


You must travel with your original passport. However, it is advisable to keep a second copy of your passport with you when you travel. Also, when you travel go online and jot down the address of the embassy or consulate in your destination city. It is important to have if you lose your passport, are the victim of a crime, or somehow end up involved with the authorities.

Personal Property Insurance

While it’s not mandatory that you purchase personal property insurance for your semester abroad, we strongly recommend that you consider it before your semester begins, particularly if you are bringing electronics with you or if you plan on traveling.

Information on the CSI Insurance Agency, a company that provides personal property/effects insurance for you while abroad if you select to undertake coverage, is included here. This is the same company that offers a similar policy for students personal items on the NYU campus in New York.

Questions about this coverage should be directed to CSI Insurance Agency directly.