Note: This information applies to NYU Abu Dhabi and NYU Shanghai students considering a semester in New York. Students from other colleges and universities who are interested in enrolling as a visiting student at NYU's campus in New York should consider programs hosted by NYU's Office of University Programs.

Study Away Students should work directly with their home school's mobility team on the visa process.

Most countries require all non-citizens to obtain some kind of visa or entry permit in order to live, study, work, or intern in their country, even if it's only for a short time. Even if you believe that you do not need a visa, you may need to gather and present supporting documentation beyond what would normally be required of a tourist.

All students attending NYU New York, except U.S. passport holders, must obtain a Student Visa for the duration of the program.

Your home school office of student mobility will be your main contact in navigating the immigration and visa process.  To enter the U.S. you will need your passport that contains an F-1 visa stamp, your I-20 form, your SEVIS fee receipt, and your enrollment verification form.

After You Arrive

The US government requires all new international students to report their arrival to NYU. To report your arrival, students in the U.S. on an F-1 visa must attend a mandatory check-in session with the Office of Global Services. 

Note that failure to attend a check-in workshop may jeopardize your ability to remain legally in the US.

You will need to bring the following to your check-in session:

Before attending the check-in workshop you must:

Update your US address and telephone number with NYU.

For further information, please reference the Office of Global Services