The Department of Campus Safety in conjunction with the Office of Global Programs works to create a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors to pursue their educational and professional goals and aspirations. A New York-based public safety officer is available 24/7 to assist with international emergencies (212-998-2222).

For assistance in extremely rare situations, the University has contracted with a leading provider of international customer care services, which includes evacuation services.

Before you depart for the semester you will be instructed on how to use NYU Traveler, a Web-based information collection tool where flight and travel details, local and US telephone numbers, and emergency contact information can be stored so that NYU staff can assist you if needed.


Petty theft is the only prevalent problem in Madrid. Otherwise, Madrid is fairly safe. The same safety measures that apply in New York apply across Europe.

1. Be aware of your belongings. Do not bring what you do not need, especially if you are going to a bar or another place at night.

2. Try to avoid walking alone at night, whether male or female.

3. Never bring anyone you just met back to your accommodation.

4. Be aware of pickpockets in touristy places and on the subway.

5. Be concerned not only with what people might be taking from you, but also with what they might be giving you.

6. Learn about the local laws of your host country and the countries you plan on visiting.

7. If you travel, let your study abroad staff know where you are going and when you are supposed to be back.

U.S. Consulate

Ph: (+34) 91 587 2200

Ph: (+34) 91 587 2240 (American Citizens Services)

Ph: (+34) 91 587 2200 (emergencies after hours)


You must travel with your original passport. However, it is advisable to keep a second copy of your passport with you when you travel. Also, when you travel go online and jot down the address of the embassy or consulate in your destination city. It is important to have if you lose your passport, are the victim of a crime, or somehow end up involved with the authorities.

Personal Property Insurance

While it’s not mandatory that you purchase personal property insurance for your semester abroad, we strongly recommend that you consider it before your semester begins, particularly if you are bringing electronics with you or if you plan on traveling.

Information on the CSI Insurance Agency, a company that provides personal property/effects insurance for you while abroad if you select to undertake coverage, is included here. This is the same company that offers a similar policy for students personal items on the NYU campus in New York.

Questions about this coverage should be directed to CSI Insurance Agency directly.