Check-out time in all residences is 12 noon, so please ensure that you have vacated your apartment by this time.
We hope that all rooms will be free of damage and that you'll leave your bedrooms and any shared spaces in your apartments clean, tidy and in a good condition when you move out at the end of the semester/program. Should cleaning, repair, disposal and replacement charges be issued within any of the residences, they will typically be shared equally among all those assigned to an apartment or specific bedroom, unless individual responsibility is established before departure. We ask that all maintenance issues in your apartments / rooms are reported as soon as possible (and far ahead of departure day), both so that these can be fixed, and to ensure there are no unnecessary charges levied for problems that were not resolved prior to departure.
If you have a late flight, you will be able to use the communal areas in all residences until 18:00; you can also store your luggage until this time.
If you are an NYU student, you can store your luggage in the Byron Court Luggage Room if you're planning on travelling after check-out or if you're returning to study at NYUL in the future. If you'd like to this, you need to complete a booking form. This will be sent to you via email ahead of your check-out date.
When planning to collect items, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 hours before collection, confirming the date and time you need to collect your luggage.
We have luggage scales available for you to use. To borrow these (for up to half an hour at a time, leaving your NYU card with reception staff), please visit the reception desk in your residence.
Detailed Check-Out Information for all Residences
STEP 1 - Clean up after yourself and clear your flat of all your personal belongings.
STEP 2 - If you are at Byron Court or Guilford House, leave your wardrobe key in the lock of your allocated lockable drawer. If we do not find your key in the lock, you will be charged £15.00. Please let us know before check-out if you have lost it so that we can replace it in good time.
STEP 3 - If you are based at Byron Court or Guilford House, return your metal room key to the reception desk as you leave. You will also have to sign out of the building and a member of staff/security officer will have to sign to confirm that you've handed your key and cards back in. If they are not signed back in, you will be charged £20.00. (Please be aware that the desk may be busy so allow plenty of time to check out.)
If you are based at Urbanest or Scape, please return your key fob to the Urbanest or Scape Reception and sign any documents required for their check-out procedure after you have done this.
STEP 4 - After you have checked out, you will no longer have access to your apartment. If you have a late flight, you may stay or store your luggage in the Study Room (Byron Court and Guilford House) until 18:00. NB - Urbanest Students will be able to store luggage there and wait in the lobby area, but they can also make use of the facilities and luggage storage at Guilford House and Byron Court.
If you choose to store luggage, please ensure that it is clearly labelled. Please remember that NYU and Urbanest cannot be held responsible for any mishaps with your luggage, so our advice is to not leave your luggage unattended.
Cleaning up after yourself
- Please leave your room in the same condition as you found it, including arranging all furniture as it was upon arrival.
- You should contribute equally to the efforts of the apartment as a whole to ensure the shared areas (the kitchen and bathroom space) are also clean and tidy. If you assign shared cleaning tasks between yourselves, make sure everyone does their fair share of the work so that the last person checking out is not left to clean the whole apartment.
- Do not leave any items or rubbish in communal areas (corridors, stairwells etc); we will check the CCTV and anyone caught doing this will be fined accordingly.
- Empty your fridge of all contents and dispose of the contents. Please also empty all food cupboards.
- Please place any rubbish in the appropriate bags (the same black bag for rubbish and recycling at Byron and Guilford; your own bin bags at Urbanest and Scape) and take the rubbish to the bin rooms at your residence. Do not leave loose items anywhere in your apartment after you leave; any loose items left in flats will be bagged and there will be charges of £10.00 (Guilford and Byron)/£12.00 (Urbanest) per bag/large item.
- Ensure that you empty all liquid containers (excluding oils and cleaning products) before placing them in the bin. Please leave all oils and cleaning products on your dish drainer so that we can dispose of them appropriately.
- If your duvet, pillow and mattress protector are stained, they will need to be replaced and charges may apply.
If you are aware of any maintenance issues, please submit a maintenance request for these as soon as possible (if based at Byron or Guilford) so that we can work on fixing these in good time. You may be charged for any maintenance issues we believe to be student damage, and, if these need to be fixed in a hurry, it may cost more.
If you're an Urbanest or Scape resident, please report any maintenance issues to the Urbanest or Scape Reception desks as soon as possible.