Current Service Status: Updated November 20, 2023
Transportation Services will be suspended at 7 a.m. on Wednesday, November 22. Services will resume on Sunday, November 26, at 10 a.m. For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download your Safe Ride app at the links below and enjoy service features including a streamlined booking interface, 11 p.m. start time and stops in Brooklyn.
Safe Ride Powered by Via
New York University partners with Via to provide free, on-demand Safe Ride service as a no-cost alternative means of transportation between designated NYU facilities in Manhattan and Brooklyn during the overnight hours.
Hours of Operation
Safe Ride service is available from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. during the Fall and Spring semesters.
NYU community members can book Safe Rides between the below designated NYU facilities. Safe Ride service is not available outside of these locations and will result in a 'Not Available' notification on the NYU Safe Ride app. Please see the instructions below the map to ensure a free service option will be offered to you.
Full List of Locations
- 181 Mercer Street - Paulson Center
- 14th St & Union Square MTA - 14th St & Union Square MTA
- 14th Street Residence Halls - Coral Tower, Palladium, University Hall
- 20 Cooper Square
- 2nd Street Hall
- 370 Jay Street
- 3rd North
- 6 Metrotech
- 7th Street Hall
- 80 Lafayette Hall
- 838 Broadway
- 9th St PATH Station
- Abu Dhabi House & Tikvah
- Alumni Hall
- Bobst Library
- Brittany Hall
- Broadway & Washington Place - 721 Broadway, Gallatin, Meyer Hall, Health Center
- Broome Hall
- Cantor Film
- Carlyle Hall
- D'Agostino & Furman Hall
- Ehrenkranz & Lipton Hall
- Founders Hall
- Glucksman - The Irish House
- Goddard Hall
- Gould Plaza - Gould Plaza, Steinhardt, Shimkin, Stern, Tisch Hall, Warren Weaver, HKMC, Kaufman
- Gramercy Green
- Greenwich Hall
- Hayden Residence Hall
- Kimmel Center
- La Maison
- Langone Medical Center
- NYU Dental & Nursing
- NYU Campus Safety- 561 LaGuardia Place
- Othmer Hall
- Rubin Hall
- Silver Towers
- Stuyvesant 14th St & 1st Ave
- Stuyvesant 14th St & Ave C
- Stuyvesant 20th St & 1st Ave
- Stuyvesant 20th St & Ave C
- University Court
- W 4th & Greene St - Brown, Computer Center, East Building, Faculty of Arts, Kimball Comm, Pless, Waverly Building
- W 4th St MTA
- Washington Square S & Sullivan St - Kevorkian, King Juan Carlos, Vanderbilt
- Weinstein Hall
- Wilf Hall
Via provides wheelchair accessible vehicles upon request. Make sure to mark your profile within the app accordingly if you require a wheelchair accessible vehicle.
Code of Conduct
- NYU ID Card: Please remember to bring your NYU ID with you when boarding a Safe Ride and show your driver before entering the vehicle. If you forget your NYU ID, a state ID or other form of identification is acceptable.
- Seat Belt: Wear your seat belt, even in the back seat. It's required by New York State Law.
- Feedback: Provide feedback on your experience using the Safe Ride service.
Drivers are expected to:
- Verify NYU IDs
- Refrain from using cell phones or bluetooth headsets while operating their vehicle
- Uphold a high standard of customer service when interacting with the NYU community.
1. Download the App and Create an Account
Download the NYU Safe Ride app from the App Store or Google Play Store and follow the simple signup steps.
2. Book a Ride
Choose your pickup and dropoff addresses from the dropdown menu, then choose the ride that works for you by tapping Book This Ride. Be sure to tap the Wheelchair icon if you need a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle!
3. Meet Your Driver
Check the app to find out exactly where to meet the vehicle, which may be a short walk from the address you gave us.
Download the NYU Safe Ride app from your app store and create an account. No promo code is required. You must use your nyu.edu email address.
Choose where you would like to go from a dropdown list of approved NYU facilities.
Confirm your pickup and dropoff locations and book the ride.
Follow your driver on the map as they navigate to your location. Meet them at the pickup spot.
I'm not seeing a Safe Ride option in the NYU Safe Ride app. Why?
- Confirm that Safe Ride is in service. Safe Ride operates seven days a week from 11 p.m. until 7 a.m. during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Confirm that your request meets the geographic requirements. Rides must start and end at designated NYU facilities.
How long will I have to wait for my vehicle to arrive?
Wait times can vary depending on several conditions. We recommend always checking the NYU Safe Ride app to see the most accurate proposed wait times.
Where do I go to be picked up?
Pick-ups or drop-offs will always be nearby (in front of the requested address, the nearest corner, or at a designated on-campus location). However, note that due to road access and safety concerns, some pick-ups may be a short distance away. Please check the NYU Safe Ride app for your exact pick-up location and walking instructions to this location. If you have trouble locating your vehicle you can call your driver by clicking the phone icon within the app.
What happens if I can't make my ride?
If you know you can't make your ride, please let us know so that we can give another passenger a ride in your place. You can easily cancel your ride through the NYU Safe Ride app by clicking on the “cancel ride” button at the bottom of the app.
How will I know when my vehicle arrives?
- NYU Safe Ride does not call you when your car arrives. The app will send you a notification when your vehicle is two minutes away, and a text when the vehicle is at the pick-up location. Please be outside or within visual range of the pick-up location at the estimated time of your pickup.
- Safe Ride drivers will be provided with NYU Safe Ride branded magnets to display, and you should confirm the vehicle type and plate number in the Via app and ask the driver partner to confirm your name before entering the vehicle. If you don't see your car and the app is indicating your vehicle is at the pick-up, you can call the driver partner directly to coordinate. Due to high demand, as well as Safe Ride being shared with other students, we cannot keep other passengers waiting - your driver will only wait for two minutes before reporting you as a no-show.
What should I do if I cannot find my driver?
You can call your driver directly through the NYU Safe Ride app to coordinate your pick-up.
My phone died before my vehicle arrived. Is my Safe Ride canceled?
No, it will not be canceled. You just won't be able to receive notifications when your ride arrives, so you'll have to be ready and waiting near your pick-up.
Didn't there used to be a Brooklyn Overnight Shuttle?
Yes. The Brooklyn Overnight Shuttle has been discontinued and Safe Ride expanded to Brooklyn. Community members wishing to go between NYU facilities in Brooklyn and Manhattan can now use Safe Ride to complete their trips.
I left something in a vehicle. Is there a lost and found service?
Yes. If you just lost the item, be sure to make a note of your car plate number and/or driver's name. Contact Via Support using the Help Center in the NYU Safe Ride app. If the driver found your item, Via Support will help coordinate it's return.
What happens if I cause damage or vomit in a Safe Ride vehicle?
Via will charge $100 to cover the cost of cleaning/repairing the vehicle.