Student Sustainability Guide
Help shape a healthier, more sustainable future for NYU and beyond.
Connect with the Office of Sustainability
Organizations and Leadership Opportunities
Apply for Funding
Learn about opportunities to access funding for projects, research, and internships.
Grants with the Office of Sustainability
- Green Grants - Apply for up to $20,000 to advance sustainability at NYU.
- Sustainability Internship Grant - Apply for a $3,000 grant to fund an unpaid or low-wage summer sustainability internship.
- Environmental and Racial Justice Network Seed Funding - Apply for $2,000 to support enviornmental and racial justice in your community, at NYU and beyond.
Expand your Knowledge
NYU is rich with opportunities to learn, conduct research, and immerse yourself in sustainability education.
Office of Sustainability Information
- Climate Action Plan - Read up on NYU’s progress towards reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Green Zone - Attend a virtual dialogue on the intersection of sustainability and social justice.
- Events - Attend a sustainability event and participate in annual traditions like NYU Earth Month.
- Get moving - Stroll through one of NYU’s green spaces, explore the city by bike, and consider taking the stairs if you can to alleviate elevator congestion. These are all sustainability measures that also improve your physical and mental health.
- Eat well - NYU Eats is committed to serving food that is good for you and the environment. By signing the Cool Food Pledge, NYU will reduce food-related greenhouse gas emissions 25% by 2030, which means you get healthier, more plant-based meals from dining facilities across the New York, Shanghai, and Abu Dhabi campuses.
- Clean green - Traditional cleansers are toxic for the environment and health. Swap for greener alternatives.
- Buy used - Shop second-hand at thrift stores and check out Facebook groups like NYU Buying/Selling.
- Donate - Make sure to donate your unwanted items when you’re moving out, or as a regular practice.
- Reuse - Take a reusable bottle, bag, and utensils with you on the go! NYUGreen bags and utensils are regularly available at Office of Sustainability events and programs, and through social media.
- Compost - Avoid food waste and bring your food scraps to a local drop-off site to an NYU compost bin in a dining hall or Kimmel.
- Recycle - Make sure to recycle and recycle properly, consulting bin signage and the waste website.