Driven by passionate students, faculty, staff & administration, our sustainability efforts are ever-evolving to reduce our footprint for the generations to come.
A Brief History of Sustainability at NYU:
- The first environmental student group, EarthMatter is formed.
- Village Green Recycling Center coordinator, Carl Hultberg developed NYU's first recycling program.
- The Sustainability Task Force is established to foster a culture of sustainability at NYU.
- NYU commits to the PlaNYC Mayor Carbon Challenge to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30% by 2017 (based of 2006 levels).
- The Environmental Studies academic program was founded.
- The first Green Grants were awarded to 7 campus projects.
- Several composting initiatives were created to divert 59% of waste sent to landfills.
- NYU announced the completion of its natural gas-fired CoGeneration plant.
- NYU met the PlaNYC Mayoral Challenge 5 years ahead of schedule.
- The EcoReps program is developed to promote peer-to-peer sustainability education in residence halls.
- The university plans to have reduced emissions by 50% through the joint efforts of students, faculty & staff.