Crisis Response Counselors at the Wellness Exchange can provide personal and confidential guidance about your options — call (212) 443-9999 for help at any point along the way. In an emergency? Dial 911 or the local equivalent. Keep in mind that contacting local authorities does not guarantee confidentiality. If you are in a safe place and would rather talk to an NYU counselor confidentially, see step one.

1. Once you are safe, call the Wellness Exchange

Call the Wellness Exchange at (212) 443-9999 and ask for a Crisis Response Counselor. They can offer confidential support over the phone, meet with you in person during emergencies — for cases in New York — and discuss your medical, mental health, and legal options. The Wellness Exchange and Crisis Response Counselors are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

2. Seek medical attention as soon as possible

Call 911 or the local equivalent if you need emergency medical care. In any event, get a medical examination at a hospital within four days of an incident, but preferably as soon as possible. Medical attention can treat injuries, offer medication to prevent sexually transmitted infections, and provide emergency contraception. This first visit also is crucial to gather evidence, even if you aren't sure you will want to file a report or press charges. When possible, it is best not to shower, change clothes, or drink before you see a doctor. A Crisis Response Counselor can go with you so you don't have to go through this alone.

3. Read about confidentiality and privacy

Privacy and confidentiality have distinct meanings. Medical and mental health professionals are able to keep conversations confidential, subject to exceptions explained at the link below. Other NYU administrators, however, may only be able to keep details private.

4. Be kind to yourself — this was not your fault

Remember that an assault is never the survivor's fault. Counseling and Wellness Services at the Student Health Center offer you short-term counseling, self-improvement workshops, support groups, referrals, and psychiatric medication services — they are all free, except for psychiatric services. Sexual assault and relationship violence are traumatic experiences that can have immediate and long-term effects. Those who experience harm can seek help from a professional counselor as soon as they are ready after the incident occurs. You don't have to go through this alone.

5. Consider making a report to NYU

Contact Shakera Turi, NYU's Executive Director and Title IX Coordinator, or Lauren Stabile, NYU's Title IX Coordinator & Senior Director of Programs, to report an incident. The Title IX Coordinator/Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) can work with you to provide a prompt response to the reported matter and coordinate further assistance.

6. Consider making a report to local law enforcement

In addition to filing a report with NYU, you also have the right and option to file a report with the NYPD or local authorities. The NYU Department of Campus Safety has a Victim Services Unit that can accompany you to the police department or the Office of the District Attorney in New York. Students at NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU Shanghai, or an NYU global site can receive similar assistance from local staff designated by the University.

7. Consider academic or residential support

NYU will provide temporary or permanent protective accommodations and measures, which may include separation orders, residence modifications, academic accommodations, or work schedule modifications, where appropriate and reasonably available under the circumstances. The Center for Sexual and Relationship Respect Services will work with you to coordinate this assistance upon request, regardless of whether an investigation is pursued.

Call the Wellness Exchange Hotline at (212) 443-9999 or chat via the app anytime and ask for a Crisis Response Counselor (CRC). They can talk through your medical, mental health, and legal options and meet with you in person. Available 24 hours a day, every day.