University departments ship many types of "hazardous materials" also known as dangerous goods including infectious substances, dry ice, other biologicals, and sometimes may need to ship chemical or radioactive materials. These shipments are highly regulated depending upon the material, the mode of transportation, the commercial carrier, and the destination.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) is the federal authority which oversees the enforcement of the Hazardous Materials Regulations, within and extending beyond U.S. boundaries. The International Air Transport Associations (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations overlap with the hazardous materials regulations and govern air shipments. Dangerous Goods Regulations, International Air Transport Association (IATA)

Training Requirements:

Anyone shipping or receiving potentially hazardous materials such as: infectious substances, diagnostic specimens, genetically modified microorganisms, potentially hazardous biological materials, and/or dry ice, is required to have International Air Transport Association (IATA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) training in the general requirements of the regulations. This training must to be repeated every two years as long as you are shipping and receiving such materials.

Those receiving hazardous materials are obligated to recognize if any release of contents has occurred during shipping and if such an incident be suspected, contact RLS or Campus Safety.

Training in the shipment of biological materials and dry ice is offered as part of RLS's regularly scheduled monthly laboratory safety program throughout the academic year.

Importing Biological Materials:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Import Permit Program (IPP) regulates the importation of infectious biological agents, infectious substances, and vectors of human disease into the United States. The CDC permit is required when importing various etiological agents known or suspected of causing disease in humans. The CDC permits are only issued to facilities that have the appropriate biosafety measures in place. For more information on the CDC Permit, please visit the CDC's Import Permit Program website.

United States Department of Agriculture

Veterinary Services Permit 

The importation or domestically transferring animal pathogens, biological materials of animal origin, or live animals is regulated by the U.S. Department of of Agriculture (USDA), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). The USDA/APHIS also issues permits for tissue culture materials and suspensions of cell culture grown viruses or other etiologic agents containing growth stimulants of bovine or other livestock origins. To determine if your research materials require a VS permit visit the USDA/APHIS Veterinary Services Permit website.

Note: an import permit may be required for interstate transfer (state to state) of USDA/APHIS regulated materials.

Plant Import Permits

The USDA/APHIS Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ) regulates the importation of plants, plant products, including plant pests and soils under the authority of the Plant Protection Act.

Other Permits

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services permits are required for certain live animals, including bats.
Veterinary Biologic permits are required for vaccines, bacterins, antisera, diagnostic kit, and other products of biological origin.
Biotechnology (BRS) permits are required for genetically engineered organisms considered to be regulated articles.

Export Control Regulations and Licensing:

NYU is subject to the same federal export control regulations as other U.S. institutions,companies, or organizations. The export control regulations most frequently encountered by the university research community include the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), administered by the U.S. Directorate of Defense Trade Controls and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). For more information on Export Controls, contact Tatiana Shapiro, Export Compliance Specialist, 212-998-2319 or visit the Export Compliance website prior to exporting materials from your lab for an evaluation and guidance on obtaining any necessary licenses.

Material Transfer Agreements (MTA):

The exchange of biological materials between institutions may require an MTA which addresses intellectual property, confidentiality and risk concerns. Incoming MTAs are sent to New York University by the institution providing the material; outgoing MTAs are sent to the institution requesting materials from New York University's Office of Industrial Liaison (NYUOIL). NYUOIL processes and negotiates MTAs and should be contacted with any questions at 212-263-8178.

Permit Questions or Site Inspections:

If you have any questions regarding whether a permit is required for your materials or if the permitting agency request a site inspection prior to approving a permit, please contact Lab Safety, x81420. Once a permit has been issued, please send a copy to Lab Safety, or ATTN: Research and Lab Safety, 194 Mercer, 5th Floor.