Biosafety Inspections & Approvals
Biosafety inspections are conducted annually in conjunction with the chemical safety inspections. Periodic inspections promote a safer laboratory environment and are an opportunity for all laboratory personnel to receive guidance on issues concerning research safety. All laboratories must complete a biosafety level 1 or 2 self inspection within BioRAFT on an annual basis prior to their scheduled visit. Additionally, the Biological Laboratory Survey and Select Agent Declaration must also be completed or updated. Biosafety sends inspection reports shortly after laboratory inspections are conducted, if laboratory issues are found. Principal Investigators are to correct all non-compliant issues or unsafe conditions identified in the inspection report in a timely manner.
Biosafety Level 2 Approval
PIs requiring BSL2 approval must do the following:
- Notify the Biosafety Officer,
- Have Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Safety Sheets, etc. readily available and accessible at the time of inspection,
- Submit/Update Biological Summary with any new biological agents or toxins, lab staff, room numbers, etc.,
- Perform a BSL2 Self Inspection within BioRAFT and schedule for an annual BSL2 inspection,
- If research includes animals you must register with the University Animal Welfare Committee. Refer to UAWC website for more information,
- Attend all recommended RLS training.
Lab staff who would like to work with BSL2 agents must: