- Regularly stay informed by following the news.
- Make sure checking the forecast is a part of your regular routine so you will know when to expect cold weather.
- If possible, adjust your schedule to avoid being outside during the coldest part of the day, typically the early morning.
- Dress for outdoors even if you do not think you will be out much.
- Stock non-perishable food such as canned food and a can opener, dry cereal and protein rich foods like nuts and energy bars.
- Stay indoors and wear warm clothes. Layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, and warm clothes are suggested.
- Eat regularly. Keep the body replenished with fluids to prevent dehydration. Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- If you must go outside:
- Walk carefully on snowy and icy sidewalks. Slips and falls occur frequently in winter weather.
- Learn how to walk like a penguin here.
- Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from severely cold air.
- Watch for signs of hypothermia and frostbite.
- Keep dry. Change wet clothing frequently to prevent a loss of body heat.
- Avoid traveling until conditions have improved.
- Check to see if your friends and neighbors are okay.
- For more information on signs of frostbites and hypothermia, click here.