Reminder: Updates and New Protocols for Entering NYU Buildings
Date: June 5, 2020
To: NYU Research Community
From: Stacie Bloom, Vice Provost for Research
I am looking forward to welcoming you back to campus starting on June 8, as we embark on Phase 2 of our Research Reconstitution Plan. Receipt of this email is confirmation you are allowed in your research building starting on June 8. Please be aware that, per State guidelines, the City of New York is in Phase 1 of reopening, and social distancing and face covering regulations will be in place citywide. This applies to those of you who have been doing critical research throughout the pandemic.
Moreover, although the curfew imposed by New York City is set to expire early Monday morning, you should make contingency plans to travel home before 8 p.m. in the case that it is extended to Monday night.
In preparation for your arrival, here are some reminders:
All returning faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to (1) get tested for COVID-19 within a week before they return to campus and (2) submit the results of their tests to the NYU COVID-19 Prevention and Response Team. Below are some resources for testing:
- NYU Langone Health App: Visit online or call 646-987-3524 to get registered and request an order for testing. Once you’ve registered with MyChart, you will receive a text and/or email message to schedule a test at a variety of testing locations. Test results will be available online in MyChart.
- New York State search page
- New Jersey search page
- Connecticut testing done by CVS MinuteClinic
- Testing at Rite-Aid in NY and NJ
- City MD and PM Pediatrics
Daily COVID-19 Symptom Check
Every person coming to work needs to complete a brief health questionnaire (called the COVID-19 Symptom Check) daily, and on the same day they plan to arrive at work. Upon completion, you will receive either an authorization to enter your building or be directed to contact your health provider. Public Safety Officers at building entrances will check for proof of authorization.
- If you have a smartphone, download the University's "NYU Mobile" app (Android and Apple). The COVID-19 Symptom Check is scheduled to appear in the app by 11 p.m. Sunday, June 7. There will also be a web-based version.
- You will need a thermometer, as the daily questionnaire requires daily temperature-taking.
All members of the NYU community should come to campus wearing a face covering that covers the wearer’s mouth and nose. Individuals may only remove their face coverings when in an NYU facility in the following circumstances:
- While working alone in single-occupancy spaces;
- While eating (they must maintain physical distancing while doing so);
- If they have an accommodation that precludes their wearing a face covering. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity at email@example.com to request an accommodation.
- The first phase of return to work is voluntary.
- Researchers who need to request workplace accommodations due to underlying health conditions should complete this form.
- Researchers who would like to request modifications to work arrangements due to being members of an age group considered to be at higher risk to COVID-19 according to guidelines issued by the Centers for
- Disease Control (currently age 65 and older) should complete this form.
- For all other questions or concerns about on-site research please contact the head of Human Resources in your school or Institute.
It is imperative to remember that we will continue to revise and update our safety protocols as we increase building density, and the more careful we can be as our group returns to work, the more quickly we can accelerate the additional cohorts of researchers who are also anxious to get back into their labs. For more detailed information on our research ramp-up, consult the Research Reconstitution Plan, which is being updated on a regular basis.
Let’s keep each other safe, and please stay in touch.
Vice Provost for Research