Reminder - Classroom Seating Assignments Tool
TO: NYU Faculty
FROM: Gigi Dopico, Vice-Provost for Undergraduate Academic Affairs and for the Humanities and Ben Maddox, Chief Instructional Technology Officer
DATE: September 1, 2020
As explained in the Assigned Seating in Classrooms for Fall 2020 message from Provost Fleming and Dr. Ciotoli, in addition to observing physical distancing in all classrooms and study spaces this semester, we are asking students who are joining us in New York to use the same classroom seat throughout the semester for all in-person and blended classes. We are also asking faculty to create a record of seating assignments for each in-person or blended class they teach, using a simple tool that can be found in the NYU Classes menu. (This menu can be found on the left-hand side of each NYU Classes course site.) Assigned seating will facilitate contact tracing should a student test positive for COVID-19.
Faculty and students of NYU School of Law, NYU College of Dentistry, and NYU Abu Dhabi should follow the specific directions shared by their respective schools.
Important Info and Reminders
- All instructors of in-person and blended courses should use the Seating Assignments tool in NYU Classes. If you have not already done so, you will need to create an NYU Classes course site. Even if you are not using NYU Classes as your learning management system, please use NYU Classes for seating assignments.
- Please note that while students will enter their own seat number, instructors have the ability to modify these as needed. For example, you may need to reassign seats for students with accommodations.
- Classroom seats are numbered and physically distanced. They should not be moved or rearranged at any point during the semester.
- If you are teaching a blended course and need to divide your section into cohorts for A/B rotation, use the Seating Assignments Tool in NYU Classes to: (1) create your cohorts and (2) message students prior to the first day of class to let them know when their cohort should come in person.
Classroom Seating Assignments Resources
- One-page Quick Start guide
- Tutorial video
- Instructor Knowledgebase article, with detailed instructions
- Classroom Seating Assignments webpage
Contact the IT Service Desk 24x7 at 212-998-3333 or AskIT@nyu.edu.