Important and Time-Sensitive Information: Required Testing (Employees)
TO: NYU Employees
FROM: Dr. Carlo Ciotoli, Executive Lead, NYU COVID-19 Prevention & Response Team
DATE: September 20, 2020
As I indicated in my September 11 email to employees, all members of the NYU community wishing to maintain access to NYU buildings must participate in the ongoing COVID-19 testing program.
All NYU employees are required to get tested for COVID-19 every other week (at a minimum); the first cohort was tested last week. You are receiving this because your Net ID begins with A-J and so you are part of the cohort to be tested next week (September 21 - 25).
- Your participation in ongoing COVID-19 testing for employees is required.
- You will be tested every other week beginning next week (September 21 - 25).
- Tests can be picked up and dropped off at the NYU locations listed here.
- Saliva tests can be self-administered; however, it is important you follow the instructions for activating the tests, doing the tests, and returning the tests promptly.
Kit Activation And Sample Collection
Some key points on activating, producing, and returning your test kits:
- Do NOT rip open the box the test kit comes in. The completed test kit, sealed inside a supplied plastic specimen bag, should be returned to the drop-off location in the original packaging.
- When you pick up your collection kit you must first activate it and register your account. You can do this from your mobile phone, tablet or desktop. THIS IS A VITAL STEP. If you do not activate your kit first, the lab will not know the kit belongs to you and you will not get your result.
- Please review these helpful instructions for producing your sample.
- PLEASE produce your saliva at home. Do not produce your saliva sample at the pick-up/drop-off locations, in common spaces, or on the sidewalk — spitting can transmit coronavirus to others.
- Produce your sample only when you have not had anything to eat or drink in the prior 30 minutes.
- Produce your sample (i.e., spit in the kit) on the same day that you will be dropping the sample off.
Notification of Results
You will have access to your results through the lab’s patient portal, to which you will have established access to activate your test kit.
If the results are negative, you can carry on as usual.
If you receive a positive test result:
- Do not come to work; stay home. Isolate yourself away from others as much as possible. If you share common spaces with other people, wear your face covering and separate yourself as much as possible.
- The NYU COVID-19 Prevention & Response Team will reach out to you to discuss appropriate protocols; you must follow all instructions closely.
- Faculty and staff who need medical care should contact their own medical providers.
- Employees should advise their supervisor, manager, department chair,
or dean’s office that they are not permitted to report to work onsite until they are cleared by the NYU COVID-19 Prevention & Response Team.
- Anyone experiencing a medical emergency should call 911 immediately to access Emergency Medical Services (EMS).
Test results will be automatically transmitted to the NYU COVID-19 Prevention & Response Team. You should not submit these results through the pre-arrival testing portals, as you may have done previously.
What if I Don't Plan On Being On Campus Often?
If you are going to be on campus or regularly interacting in-person with other members of the NYU community, we want you to be tested.
That said, we recognize that many employees may be on campus only intermittently, so picking up and dropping off tests may be an issue. Please complete this form if you are not able to get to campus at least every two weeks to complete a test.
- Special requests should be based on necessity and not convenience and will be reviewed accordingly;
- People who come to campus periodically should follow instructions for how to get tested and clearance to access NYU buildings at least 2 weeks before the day they plan to be on campus;
- It is important that everyone stay on the schedule of their assigned testing week (please do not switch weeks for convenience. If this is simply not possible, please complete this form).
Please be aware that we will be responding to each submission (no additional action is necessary on your part until you receive a response from the team — you do not need to re-submit your survey responses or email for a status update).
Support and Questions
For questions related to your collection kit contents, setting up your account, activating your kit through the online portal, and using the kits, contact Binx customer support from 6am to 10pm Eastern seven days each week via: chat support, email at email@example.com, or phone at (844) 692-4691.
For questions about pickup and drop-off procedures, NYU testing policies, ID card activations/deactivations, or anything specific to the university and/or testing policies, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation and commitment to your health and safety and to those around you.