Eating and Drinking
Updated: May 4
Eating, break time, and camaraderie used to all go hand in hand; in the face of the pandemic, however, we must follow practices that keep each other safe. That includes how we eat.
NYU guidance about eating applies to all NYU buildings and facilities, and all University-sponsored events, even when they take place off campus.
Eating and drinking is permitted in settings and events where in-person attendance is optional. This includes student club meetings, events, and other gatherings where in-person participation is not required, and discretionary spaces, such as lounges and common areas.
- You must have a Daily Screener GREEN PASS to eat indoors.
- Employees with Daily Screener YELLOW PASS are not permitted to eat anywhere indoors on-campus or at any University-sponsored events.
Eating is not permitted in settings and events where in-person attendance is required. This includes:
- Classrooms or other instructional spaces
- Designated study spaces
- Meetings, huddles, or events in which in-person participation is obligatory
- Workplaces (except when following workplace eating guidelines)
In these settings, you are permitted to lower your mask for a brief moment to sip water or another beverage while you are outside of designated eating areas.
Employees who are compliant with NYU’s vaccination requirement may eat in single occupancy offices, designated eating areas, or at their desks if they have consent from the other employees that share the space. If you are eating in a designated eating area or at your desk, you should spend the minimum amount of time necessary to eat your snack or meal (approximately 15 minutes) to minimize the amount of time that people are in indoor obligatory spaces together without masks.
Employees who are not compliant with NYU’s vaccination requirement may not eat indoors.
Managers should identify designated eating areas within their workplace for employees who cannot eat at their desks or prefer to eat in spaces where there is physical distance. These can include break rooms, conference rooms, and other larger spaces.
Guidelines for Designated Workplace Eating Spaces
- Designated eating areas must be set-up to facilitate 6 feet distance between people.
- Physical distancing can be supported through the design of the room, such as reducing the number of chairs available and setting up tables to be 6 feet apart.
- Where possible, the chairs should all be facing the same direction.
- Where possible, rooms that have windows should be left open to improve ventilation. Fans can also be placed to help to improve air circulation.
- Signage should be posted designating the space for eating and drinking.
- Designated eating locations are not permitted to be used for purposes other than eating or drinking. Other activities such as work, changing clothes, presentations, resting, or other personal activities are not permitted in designated eating areas and instead should be done in other spaces where everyone is wearing a mask.
- When eating in a designated eating space, everyone should:
- Maintain a 6 foot distance from other people eating in the space,
- Face the same direction while eating, and
- Finish their meal promptly to reduce exposure and allow colleagues to eat.
- You should spend the minimum amount of time necessary to eat your snack or meal, approximately 15 minutes. This recommendation minimizes the amount of time that people are in indoor spaces together without masks and allows more people to use the designated eating spaces.
In addition to optional events and settings, below are Quick Stop locations on campus where indoor eating is permitted for students for the spring semester. These Quick Stop indoor eating locations must:
- Only be used for eating,
- Have a 15 minute time limit (when you’re done eating, please leave the space so others may use it),
- Use only available seats, and
- Furniture must remain in place; do not move chairs or tables.
Floor and Room Number
|Brooklyn||2 MetroTech Center||8th Floor, Room 800-2 and 800CA-2|
|Brooklyn||370 Jay Street||2nd Floor, Room 205|
|Brooklyn||5 MetroTech Center||Lower Level, LC102|
|Brooklyn||6 MetroTech Center||2nd Floor, Room 209|
|Downtown||15 Barclay Street||
3rd Floor, Room 335A
2nd Floor, Room 206
SPS Midtown Center
11 W 42nd Street
10th Floor, Rooms 1026 and 1039
5th Floor, Room 505
238 Thompson Street
|2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Floor Open Lounges|
60 Washington Sq. South
2nd Floor, East Lounge
8th Floor Lounge (NOT the CMEP lounge)
9th Floor Lounge
100 Washington Sq. East
1st Floor, Heights Lounge
|Washington Square||708 Broadway||1st Floor Café|
|Washington Square||7 East 12th Street||3rd Floor, Room 327|
40 West 4th Street
1st Floor, Kassin Center
4th Floor, Room 411-413
|Washington Square||KMEC, 44 West 4th Street||5th floor, Room 50|
50 West 4th Street
|1st Floor, Gardner Commons|
|Washington Square||721 Broadway||1st Floor, Reiss Lounge|
Find an outdoor location or public park near NYU in the list below or on this map.
NYU Outdoor Spaces
- Cogen Plaza, Corner of Mercer and W 4th
- Gould Plaza, 44 W 4th St
- Schwartz Plaza, Intersection of Washington Square South and Washington Square East
- King Juan Carlos Courtyard, 53 Washington Square South
- Vanderbilt Hall Coutyard, 40 Washington Square South
- Sasaki Garden, Washington Square Village
- The Backyard, Washington Square Village
- Student Agriculture Club, Washington Square Village
- Oak Grove, Silver Towers
Public Parks near NYU
- Washington Square Park, Washington Square South and LaGuardia Place
- Fiorello La Guardia Park, LaGuardia Pl between W3rd and Bleecker St
- Mercer Playground, Mercer St between W 3rd St and Bleecker St
- Cooper Sq Pedestrian Plaza, East 4th St and Cooper Square
- Cooper Triangle, Cooper Square and 3rd Avenue
- Astor Place Pedestrian Plaza, 26 Astor Place (Astor Place between Cooper Sq and Lafayette St)
- Minetta Green, 294 Sixth Avenue
- Father Demo Square, 6th Ave between Carmine St and Bleecker St
- Father Fagan Park, 6th Ave between Prince and Spring St
- Jefferson Market Garden, 421 6th Avenue
- Union Square Park, 14th At between Union Square East and Union Square West
- Stuyvesant Square Park, Rutherford Pl to N D Perlamn Pl, E 15th to E 17th St
- Abe Lebewohl Park, Stuyvesant Street between E 10th and 2nd Avenue
- Public Plaza, 16th Street between 5th and 6th Ave
- Ruth Rittenburg Triangle, 421 6th Avenue
- Little Red Square, 6th Avenue and Bleecker Street
- MetroTech Commons, 2 MetroTech Center, Brooklyn, NY 11201
- Willoughby Plaza, Brooklyn