All NYU buildings in New York have legally required emergency lighting designed to provide assistance if emergency egress is necessary. In addition, during a power outage, it is likely that some NYU buildings may still have power, so if your building is dark consider going to a lighted NYU facility, such as Bobst Library.
Wherever you are, be prepared:
- Know where to find your flashlights and batteries.
- Have a flashlight app for your phone.
- Make sure you have a portable power bank and it is fully charged.
- Have ice ready or freeze water-filled plastic containers to help keep food cold during a temporary power outage.
When the power goes out:
- Do not use candles, only use a flashlight.
- Unplug any electronics such as computers, televisions, and stereos.
- If you are at work, await instructions from building staff.
- If you are cooking, turn off the oven and stove.
- Do not touch any downed power lines.
- Check your electrical equipment for damages.
- Throw away any food that has been exposed to temperatures 40° F (4° C) for 2 hours or more or that has unusual odor, color or texture. When in doubt, throw it out!