Hurricane / Cyclone / Typhoon
- Regularly stay informed by following the news.
- Be prepared to evacuate quickly and know your routes and destinations. Find a local emergency shelter.
- Check your emergency kit and replenish any items missing or in short supply especially medications or other medical supplies. Keep it nearby.
- Create/Review your emergency plan. Sit down with your family or close friends, and decide how you will get in contact with each other, where you will go, and what you will do in an emergency.
Follow instructions issues by local officials. Leave immediately if ordered.
If NOT ordered to evacuate:
- Stay indoors.
- Use flashlights in the dark if the power goes out. Do NOT use candles.
- Avoid contact with floodwater. It may be contaminated with sewage or contain dangerous insects or animals.
- Do not walk, swim or drive through floodwater. Just six inches of fast-flowing water can knock you over and two feet will float a car.
- Stay out of areas subject to flooding.
- Do not go outside until the storm has passed.
- Continue listening to local news for the latest updates.
- If you evacuated, return only when authorities say it is safe to do so.
- Be mindful when walking outside. Check for loose power lines, gas leaks, and structural damage.
- Stay alert of extended rainfall and subsequent flooding.
- Let friends and family know you are safe.
- Do not use water that could be contaminated.