Global Travel Risk
- Before traveling, check the State Department website to see if there are any travel restrictions for your destination.
- Make sure all your travel documents (passport, visa, etc.) are up to date and will be valid for the duration of your trip.
- Bring extra belongings (electronics, clothing, money) in case your trip is unexpectedly extended.
- Enroll in the State Department's, Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), to receive important alerts.
- Contact the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.
- Arrange for travel back to the United States or country of origin as quickly as possible.
- If travel is not an option, make plans for an extended stay abroad. Assistance can be provided through Embassy or Consulate.
- Stay updated by frequently checking government websites and news outlets as situations can change rapidly.