- Know where emergency exits are located on your floor.
- Know where fire extinguishers are located on your floor.
- Know where your fire alarm pull stations are located.
- Know your evacuation meeting locations.
In the event of a fire, or if you smell smoke, the acronym R.A.C.E. provides a guide to follow:
- R - Rescue - Rescue people in immediate danger.
- A - Alert - Pull the fire alarm and call 911 from a safe location.
- C - Contain - Close all doors and windows.
- E - Evacuate/Extinguish - Evacuate building and extinguish small fires, if it is safe to do so.
Other safety procedures you should remember in a fire include:
- Use stairs not elevators to evacuate during a fire emergency.
- Immediately inform emergency responders or NYU staff if you are aware that someone is missing.
- Do not re-enter the building until the Fire Department or a member of NYU DCS authorize it.