Zoom Automated Captions
Zoom Automated Captions lets participants view a computer-generated transcript and closed captions of what is said during a meeting. This feature is enabled by any participant of the meeting or webinar once it begins.
Automatic captioning is currently not accurate enough to be used in any cases where a person with a disability requests human captioning. Review the live captioning decision table.
On this page
Any participant can select the "Show Captions" button for automatic subtitles/captions and transcript.
- Select the "Show Captions" button in the Zoom Toolbar.
- Once enabled, the options for subtitles and transcript are available by selecting the Show Captions Submenu (^).
Automated Captions are currently not supported in Breakout rooms.
I want to:
|Enable automatic captions during a class/meeting||Review the Automated Captions instructions|
|Get an automatic transcript with the recording of the Zoom class/meeting||(Host only) Turn on "Audio Transcript" in your NYU Zoom settings before the meeting begins.|
Have human captioning in my class for a student accommodation
|Have human captioning for my event||
- Accuracy: Currently, automatic captioning is not accurate enough to be used in cases where a person with a disability requests human captioning. Review the live captioning decision table.
- Meeting Recordings: A more accurate transcript and caption file is available post-recording if Zoom Audio Transcription is enabled before the meeting begins.
- Non-speech and non-verbal sounds: The Automated Captions feature does not transcribe all sounds. For example, humming in agreement ("Mmhmm"), sighing, clapping, coughing.
- Tone of voice: The Automated Captions feature does not transcribe tone of voice. For example, whispering, yelling, sarcasm.