YouTube Subtitles/Closed Captions
How to create, upload, and edit captions or subtitles for YouTube videos.
- Navigate to your channel’s Home page.
- Click on the blue Creator Studio button, top right.
Link goes to a list of uploaded videos.
- Click the Edit button to the right of the video thumbnail.
Link goes to a page for this video with new options.
- Click Subtitles/CC above the video player
- Set the video language in the pop-up, select English and click on the set language button.
- Now there are options to upload a transcript, or select English (Automatic) to create a new caption file. Depending on the length of the video, it takes some minutes for the caption file to be generated.
- Click the Edit button above the video player to review and edit the caption file.
- Click Overwrite to edit the captions. Automatically generated captions have no punctuation, so edits are necessary.
- Click Publish Edits above the video player when finished.