Is text concise on the page and easy to read?
When creating content, ensure that:
- Fonts are easy to read (e.g., Arial or Times New Roman).
- Text is sized for legibility (minimum 12-14 pt for body text).
- Text is concise.
- Text styling (boldface type, italics, color) are not the only means to convey meaning.
- There is sufficient contrast between text and background color.
- Tables are used to organize tabular data, and are not used for decorative purposes.
- Link text clearly describes the destination.
- Linked text is easy to find.
- The communication of information does not rely on color perception.
Writing in Plain Language
Learn more about the Federal plain language guidelines.