Overleaf is an online LaTeX and Rich Text collaborative writing and publishing service that makes the whole process of creating and sharing scientific documents much quicker and easier. NYU now provides the Professional version of the software to students, faculty, researchers, and staff. This version of Overleaf offers the following features to help you and your collaborators create beautiful projects, some of which are only available to Professional users:
- Real-time collaboration in your web browser
- Effortless and flexible sharing options
- Real-time preview
- Rich Text mode
- Fast error finding
- Great for papers, theses and presentations
- Publish to many academic journals, repositories and authoring services
- Advanced access control for protected projects
- Full project and document history
- Quick save to Dropbox option
- Priority support directly from Overleaf
- User: Faculty, Staff, Students, Researchers
- Devices: NYU-owned devices, personal devices
- Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux
- Version: Professional
Distribution and Availability
All eligible NYU community members can create a Professional account on the Overleaf website by using their @nyu.edu email address to enroll.
A. If you do not have an Overleaf account:
- Go to www.overleaf.com/edu/nyu.
- Click the Sign Up button.
- Click the Register using Google button.
- Select your NYU Email account. If your account doesn’t appear, enter your NetID@nyu.edu email address and click Next.
- Enter your NetID and password in the NYU Login screen.
- Go through the NYU’s Multi-Factor Authentication process, if prompted.
B. If you previously registered for an Overleaf account using an NYU Email address:
- Your account was automatically upgraded to the Overleaf Professional version.
C. If you previously registered for an Overleaf account using a non-NYU email address:
- After signing in with your non-NYU email address, click Account at the top right of the screen, then click Account Settings.
- Under “Email,” click Add another email, then enter your @nyu.edu email address. Click Add new email, then click Make Default.
- Open your NYU Email account, find the message from Overleaf with the subject line “Confirm Email - Overleaf,” then click Confirm Email. Your account will then be automatically upgraded to the Overleaf Professional version, and none of your existing projects will be lost.
- Contact Overleaf support if you need assistance.
- Free for all eligible NYU community members
- Non-commercial, for academic and research purposes only
Support, Documentation, and Training
- To learn about Overleaf’s maintenance schedule, policies, and more, explore the Overleaf website.