Getting Started with Cisco Jabber
Cisco Jabber, part of the NYU Telephone Service, is software that enables NYU employees to make and receive phone calls from an on- or off-campus computer or via a mobile app. It also offers features such as chat and video calls.
Employees can use their NYU office phone number and voicemail with Jabber when they're away from their desks, making it an essential tool when working remotely.
Most employees are automatically authorized to use Jabber on a Mac or Windows computer. Note: If you wish to use Jabber on an iOS or Android device, you'll need to request a separate account (see below).
- Download the Jabber software for Mac or Windows.
- Run the Cisco Jabber installer file and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Launch the Jabber software client.
- For your first login, enter the following as your ID, then click Continue:
- For New York and Washington, DC, enter YourNYUNetID@jabber.nyu.edu (e.g., email@example.com).
- For European sites and Tel Aviv, enter YourNetID@jabbereu.nyu.edu (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Note: Cisco Jabber is not currently available at NYU Sydney.
- Leave your user name as it appears (your NetID), then enter your NetID password to log in. (For all future logins, you'll simply use your NetID and password.)
- In the menu bar, open Jabber > Preferences to configure options such as how you will connect to audio/video, set your status, connect your NYU Calendar, and more.
TIP: Your camera may be on by default for person-to-person video calls. To change this in the Preferences, click Calls, then, in the "General" tab, deselect "Always start my calls with video."
- For detailed setup instructions, see these instructions for Mac or Windows. Or, read on for instructions on how to use Jabber.
If you wish, you can use the Jabber mobile app to make and receive calls with your primary NYU work phone number on an Android or iOS device. To request a mobile Jabber account, complete this form and indicate your cell phone type. An NYU IT representative will contact you with further instructions on how to set up and use the app.
Get started with popular features:
- Make and receive calls from your computer with your own NYU telephone number for Mac or Windows
TIP: As noted in the above instructions, be sure to include 9 plus the full phone number if you are calling any non-NYU number.
- Create and manage contacts for easy click-to-call dialing for Mac or Windows
- Access and manage your NYU voice mail messages for Mac or Windows
- Learn about other Jabber features for Mac or Windows
- Browse ALL Jabber support in the ServiceLink knowledge base