IT Sustainability Achievements
Efforts to adopt more sustainable technology tools and practices at NYU are paying off. Here are some successes:
- University Policies reinforce Sustainable Tech Practices: The NYU Travel and Expense Policy has been amended to include sustainable tech policies and practices.
- Green data centers: NYU has migrated to a primary data center with a sustainable design, using revolutionary water-cooled technology and other measures to conserve energy.
- Responsive power management: Technology and building management professionals are working hand in hand to better manage lighting, air conditioning, and tech infrastructure.
- Streamlined processes: The less time it takes to do something online, the less power it consumes. We're leaning on process simplification and automation to be more effective.
- Sustainable equipment: Personal printers are being replaced by centrally managed multi-function devices with environmentally friendly settings and supplies. Desk phones have been replaced with softphones (using Jabber software).
- Standards established: Standards for computers, monitors and other equipment that meet high efficiency and sustainability ratings have been established and published.
- Energy Efficient Audio Visual Equipment: NYU is implementing greener AV designs that reduce our hardware footprint and deploying monitoring tools to optimize settings remotely.