The Download: Feature Articles
NYU Wi-Fi Guest Portal: Have a Visitor Who Needs Wi-Fi?
By Denise Ryan | September 9, 2022
A new tool lets you set up temporary access for a guest in a few quick steps
Are you hosting a guest and want them to be able to connect to NYU Wi-Fi? The new NYU Wi-Fi Guest Sponsor Portal enables you to set up access in just a few minutes, and it eliminates the previous requirement to request access through the IT Service Desk.
The Guest Portal also offers enhanced security to further protect NYU's networks by protecting connected devices from viruses and malware. It also results in more precise data usage information, so that use of NYU Wi-Fi can be better measured, enabling the University to more effectively deploy Wi-Fi equipment where it's needed.
Who should—and who SHOULD NOT—use the NYU Guest network
- The NYU Guest network is for visitors—such as friends, family, or non-NYU meeting or conference attendees—who do not have an active NYU NetID and cannot connect to the main NYU Wi-Fi network.
- If you have an active NYU NetID (including alumni), there should never be a reason for you to connect to the NYU Guest network. Always use the primary NYU Wi-Fi network ('nyu').
Using the NYU Guest Portal
To create an account for a visitor:
- Go to the NYU Wi-Fi Guest Sponsor Portal.
- Enter your Username (NYU NetID) and Password.
- Click Login.
- Enter the required Guest information:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Phone number (optional)
- Enter the required Access information:
- From Date
- From Time
- To Date
- To Time
- Click Create.
The guest account information will be displayed on the next screen. Your guest will automatically receive an email that includes login instructions.