The Download: Feature Articles
Are You Using NYU Zoom? Are You Sure?
By Keith Allison | October 19, 2020
The NYU Zoom Tips Round-up: Know Where to Go for All the Zoom Info
We've talked about NYU Zoom a little bit, haven't we? As one of the essential services powering the University's blended learning and working environment, it's earned its spot as a topic of much discussion.
By now, you have the hang of the basics and are probably handy with some of the advanced features as well. But we know the info has been coming fast and furious, and Zoom is frequently tweaking the service to improve security and usability. So if you need a hand wrangling all of that info, see below for some highlights, recommendations, and tips.
- Make Sure You're Using NYU Zoom
- Use the Zoom App
- Connect your Calendar with the Zoom Browser Extension
- Check out NYU Zoom Service Page
- Get to Know NYU Zoom Classrooms
- Record Your Session
- Need Assistance? Consider it Done!
We know telling the difference between "regular" Zoom and NYU Zoom can be confusing, but there are important differences. NYU Zoom provides you with increased privacy, enables up to 300 participants, has no meeting time limit, and gives you access to NYU Zoom tech support.
The best way to make sure you're using NYU Zoom is to start your day by logging in at nyu.zoom.us.
While you can run Zoom from a browser window, it's a better experience to download and use the Zoom App. It offers better on-screen configuration options, a more flexible toolbar, and auto-start and meeting reminders. The app is available for Mac and Windows computers, as well as iOS and Android mobile devices.
Run those Updates!
Once you have the Zoom app installed, make sure it stays up-to-date. Most of the time, if a new version is available, you'll see an alert within the app. You can check for updates yourself by going to zoom.us in the Zoom app's top menu and selecting Check for Updates.
Zoom offers an extension for Firefox and Chrome that makes it easy to schedule and view meetings in your NYU Calendar. Get that and other plugins, including one that will enable you to share an iPhone or iPad screen, directly from Zoom.
The NYU Zoom service page on the NYU IT website is your one-stop shop for tips, tutorials, and news about the service. Find info about NYU Zoom Classrooms, learn how to tweak your Zoom settings for professional perfection, browse for instructions and technical support, and more.
The NYU Zoom service page has detailed info about NYU Zoom Classrooms around the NY campus.
- Take a guided video tour of NYU Zoom Classroom technology.
- Download an NYU Zoom Classroom Quick Start Guide (PDF). (The Guide is also available as a print-out in every NYU Zoom Classroom.)
Want to dig into even more detail, such as how to optimize audio and video for both in-room and remote attendees? Take a look at the comprehensive guide in the NYU ServiceLink knowledge base.
Since we're potentially scattered across different places and time zones, recording an NYU Zoom meeting is a great way to make sure your meeting or class is available to everyone who needs it.
- In an NYU Zoom Classroom and need help right away? Use the Zoom Hotline (212-998-3400 or x83400) for immediate in-classroom assistance.
- For support with an upcoming session in an NYU Zoom Classroom, contact the NYU IT Service Desk.
- For all NYU Zoom inquiries, including general support, account issues, and other requests, contact the NYU IT Service Desk.