Google Workspace Storage
Update on Google Storage
Google announced that it will be eliminating free, unlimited storage for its higher education clients in July 2022. However, NYU, along with other universities, has negotiated an extension to July 2024, which allows ample time to assess and develop solutions that meet NYU’s academic, research, and administrative storage needs.
No Immediate Changes Planned
For now, nothing is changing about NYU’s access to free, unlimited storage in NYU Drive and NYU Email.
Partnerships Will be Key to Our Success
No decisions have yet been made about NYU’s approach. NYU IT is working on a plan for the July 2024 date and will be working with representatives from across the University to think through and design potential solutions so that we are considering and accounting for a wide range of perspectives and needs.
Our goal is to maintain service quality, minimize disruption, and contain costs while addressing immediate needs and planning for the future. This may involve considering additional storage opportunities or other adjustments to accommodate this change.
We know that many of you will want to follow our progress and thoughtfully contribute to this important work.
- Please bookmark this page and check back on a regular basis for updates.
- Your feedback is welcome at any time. Please submit ideas, suggestions, and feedback through the Google Workspace Storage Feedback form. (Be sure to direct tech support questions to the IT Service Desk instead.)
We encourage all community members to use NYU’s storage resources wisely and organize and tidy up files that you don’t need. See this Google support article for tips.
- Spring - Fall 2022: Begin planning for the July 2024 date, including analyzing current storage usage and consulting with Google and peer institutions. Meeting with University community partners to establish the best path forward.
- Spring 2023: Finalize NYU’s strategy
- Summer 2023 - Fall 2024: Planning and rollout, including broad communications
- End of Spring 2024: Complete transition to new model(s)