NYU Traveler

NYU Traveler graphic of city buildings, plane, train and boat in colored silhouettes.

NYU Traveler is a web-based portal that is linked to NYU's travel safety service. All members of the NYU community are encouraged to utilize the site to either make their travel arrangements or to register their travel plans.  NYU Traveler is a tool designed to enhance the safety of students, faculty, administrators, and staff traveling on University-related business.

When a trip is booked or registered with NYU Traveler, travel plans are routed through iJet, a traveler safety service with which NYU has contracted. iJet is a safety service that provides each member of the NYU community with up-to-the-minute information about conditions in their travel destination that may affect personal safety and well-being. iJet maintains information about travel plans so that NYU can more rapidly and effectively respond to registered travelers in an emergency, remove travelers from a suddenly dangerous location while abroad, or contact travelers to advise on safety arrangements prior to traveling to a dangerous location. 

^ back to top

Visas, Immigration & Other Travel Regulations

Landscape of Middle Eastern architecture and palm trees.

Many countries require an entry visa depending on your nationality and the purpose and duration of your travel (e.g., work, study, conference attendance, tourist, etc.). In the early stages of an abroad program or project, NYU's Office of Global Services (OGS) should validate the appropriate immigration entry route into the host country based on the nature of the intended on the ground activity. Be sure to provide OGS with the five immigration factors below. 

  1. Location
  2. Trip purpose
  3. Length of time intended in host location(s)
  4. Multiple entries needed
  5. Citizenship(s) of travelers

OGS will assist faculty and administrators to obtain the approvals, clearances, work permits, visas, and other documentation that may be required to permit them to perform the services contemplated by their assignment. Faculty and administrators are responsible for providing the required information and completed forms as soon as possible as obtaining approvals can be a very lengthy process (three months). Faculty and administrators cannot relocate to their host countries and begin global assignments until the proper immigration approvals, clearances and documentation have been obtained.

  • When applicable and approved by the international assignment funding source, tax services may be allowable. In some cases, the Faculty and administrators are required to meet with the University-designated tax provider for an initial review. The tax provider will review the University’s tax policies and practices before departure. This consultation provides an opportunity to understand the tax issues related to the global assignment.

Traveling to Sanctioned Countries

The US government and other countries in which NYU has global sites and portal campuses maintain sanctions against a number of countries (currently, the strictest US sanctions are against Iran, Syria, Sudan, Cuba, and North Korea). Travel to/or engaging in activities involving these countries and working in, or with persons who normally reside in, these countries or organizations established in these countries, including on a broad range of academic and research activities, are generally prohibited without authorization from the U.S. government. Obtaining approval can take approximately six months or longer from the date an application is submitted to the US Government. See US Sanctions and Export Controls for more information.  

^ back to top

Health Insurance and Travel Insurance

Airport gate waiting area with a parked jet plane in background and travelers in silhouette.

Information on travel insurance, including temporary health insurance, coverage for students, faculty and staff is available on the Traveler Insurance page.

Insurance benefits (e.g. health and dental) may differ when traveling. An overview of major coverage and service programs for employees traveling on NYU business can be found on the Guide to Benefits Coverage for NYU Employees Traveling Outside the U.S. Specifically, faculty and employees who travel for business purposes are covered under GeoBlue for health care coverage. Coverage provides access to routine and urgent care and is not limited to emergencies. This coverage is automatic, but travelers are encouraged to sign-up to obtain information and a card which can be given to health care providers.

^ back to top


Close-up of a circuit board inside of a computer.

Traveling abroad requires particular attention to safety, security, and compliance considerations for your computer and all other electronic devices and for the data on those devices. Please consult the Technology Compliance and Security Abroad page before traveling.


The vast majority of NYU IT services (NYURoam Wireless, NYU-NET, the NYU Print Service, NYU Brightspace, NYU Google Apps, and many dozens more) are seamlessly available for use across all NYU locations. Click here for an A-Z list of all NYU IT Services, or use the links in the sidebar of that page to explore core and specialized services available to you based upon your role at the University.


For support with the use of NYU services, log into NYU ServiceLink and verify that your correct NYU role and location are selected in the filters. Then, enter search terms related to your desired service to view knowledge articles, service descriptions, and request forms. Personal technical support is also provided 24/7 by the NYU IT Service Desk.

Export Compliance

Travel to certain countries may require authorization in the form of a specific license, or may be approved under other provisions defined by federal regulations. Taking certain technologies and other devices or equipment, even if considered a tool-of-trade, may also be restricted or prohibited from export and/or import. Travelers should contact the Office of Compliance and Risk Management for guidance and authorization well in advance of travel.

^ back to top

Student Travel

Student standing on a train looking at guide book.

Leading Student Trips Abroad

In some cases, schools have handbooks that contain instructions for the planning and implementation of these trips, including relevant policies. Please contact your Dean’s office for your school’s policies or handbook.

Crime Reporting for Student Trips

NYU’s Public Safety Department is required to collect and report statistics on certain crimes that occur during student travel in a space rented, leased or controlled by NYU to accommodate students for two or more consecutive nights; for example, a homestay apartment or hotel room. Information about these incidents must be reported to Public Safety.

Obtaining Student Travel Releases

All students traveling abroad on NYU organized activities or for research related to NYU should sign a travel release.

Student Immigration

All students who are participating in NYU related student travel, should have their intended visa and/or entry requirements validated by OGS to ensure appropriate immigration status.

Making A Student Film

All curricular film and video activity must be registered with and approved by ERM if certain conditions are met.

  • Film and video activity can be registered by completing the process outlined on the Student Film Program page.

Student Insurance

Students may not be automatically covered during travel.

  • Information on travel insurance, including temporary health insurance, coverage for students, faculty and staff is available on the Traveler Insurance page.

^ back to top

Risks and Releases

Two young professionals walking in front of white columned government building.

Risk Assessment

NYU generally uses iJET’s Country/City Security Assessment Ratings (CSAR) to assess the risk of travel to different countries around the world. CSAR ratings (1-5 rating, with 1 representing the lowest threat/risk and 5 representing the highest) are based on six parameters: Crime, Security Services, Civil Unrest, Terrorism, Kidnapping and Geopolitical Stability. Generally, NYU considers a country with a CSAR rating of 4-5 to be a high risk country, where travel should be pre-approved by ERM and include a safety and security plan. See iJet’s brochure for more about the CSAR ratings and a map with the ratings.

  •  Public Safety can be brought in to perform Security Risk Assessments of space being purchased or leased by members of the NYU community for NYU use, upon request. These assessments will inform planning of both operational and technological security capabilities for a proposed NYU site. To produce a recommended security program for the site, Risk Assessments incorporate consideration of the security conditions of the locality and surroundings, the planned usage and programmatic operations for the proposed NYU site, the proposed physical configuration of the facility, and Public Safety’s standards for technical security design.

Safety and Security Plans

Travel to high risk countries (CSAR ratings of 4 or 5) must be pre-approved by ERM in order to insure a safer trip. Contact ERM to develop a safety and security plan, including plans for evacuation or other emergencies

Travel Releases

All students traveling abroad on NYU organized activities or for research related to NYU should sign a travel release. Anyone traveling to any of the following high risk countries is required to sign a travel release prior to departure. This also is true if someone is engaging in high risk activities.

^ back to top