International guests who plan to attend the Commencement ceremony may need to apply for a U.S. Visitor Visa (B-2).

Information about applying for a visa is available at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where the visa application will be made. Applications will need to show that the visit to the U.S. is temporary, that there are adequate finances to cover the trip, and that they intend to return to their home country (proof of ties such as job, family, property or other commitments).

You might need to send supporting evidence for your guest(s):

  1. A letter of invitation from you in English to your guest. Include the guest’s name, your relationship to the visitor, the length and dates of the visit, and the purpose, e.g. to attend Commencement. In some countries or if your guest has a common name, including the person’s birth date and passport number may help the embassy verify that the letter is for your guest. If your guests are staying with you and will not need a hotel, state this in your letter to help demonstrate financial support for the trip.
  2. A letter from the Office of the University Registrar verifying your graduation status and Commencement date. You must have applied to graduate prior to requesting the letter. Students may request this letter by emailing from their NYU email account or going in person to StudentLink (Manhattan or Brooklyn). The request must include your name, NYU ID number, email address, school, anticipated degree, and full name(s) of guest(s). Note that students from Law, Dentistry, Medicine, or Stern Graduate should contact their individual school’s Registrar’s Office.
  3. If you are an international student, evidence of your visa status may be helpful. F and J visa holders inviting family members should refer to the Office of Global Service's international visitors page. Other visa holders should discuss what documents to carry with their visa sponsor or contact OGS at with any questions.