search the site
did you know?
- NYU IT provides licensed copies of Symantec Endpoint Protection at no cost to qualified NYU community members. For instructions on how to download, see the NYU IT Software page (log in with your NetID and password if prompted).
- Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the files on this page that are in PDF format.
- Computer Disposal
- Configuration Instructions
- EduCause Security Awareness Videos 2009
- Frequently Asked Questions
- General Computer Security
- Informational Websites
- Mobile Device Security
- Safe Social Networking
- System Administration
- NYU IT Computer Disposal Guidelines
- DBAN, Eraser, Secure Empty Trash and other secure data deletion tools
- How to make Google Desktop more secure
- How to make Microsoft Outlook more secure
- Securing HP JetDirect Print Servers (on the HP website)
EduCause Security Awareness Videos 2009
- Basic Security Tips: "Icon Ninjas" Internet Security PSA
- 10 Most Common Passwords
- Defend Against Spyware, Scams, and Phishing Attacks: "Cyber Security Awareness"
Frequently Asked Questions
General Computer Security
- The Center for Internet Security: www.cisecurity.org
- U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team: www.cert.org
- The FBI/NW3C Internet Crime Complaint Center: www.ic3.gov
- Macintosh Security Site: www.securemac.com
- Microsoft Security & Privacy Site: www.microsoft.com/security
- Microsoft TechNet Security Site
- SANS Internet Storm Center: http://isc.sans.org
Mobile Device Security
Mobile devices, such as smart phones, PDAs, and tablets, have evolved into miniaturized computers with advanced operating systems capable of running robust applications and storing gigabytes of data. These devices meet many needs, providing desktop-class computing features as well as ubiquituous connectivty. Regardless of whether your smart phone is NYU-purchased or not, it is essential that you enable the appropriate controls needed to ensure the security of the data stored and accessed on it.
For instruction on securing your mobile device, visit the NYU Smart Phones & Mobile Devices website Security section.
- Educause: Tips for Safe and Secure Social Networking
- US Cert: Staying Safe on Social Network Sites
- Focus: Social Networking in the Workplace: The Security Risks of Social Networks
- Security tips for NYU webmasters
- For more info, visit the: Security Sys Admin website
(NetID login required. Sys Admins only. Contact TSS for more information.)
Page last reviewed: July 1, 2015