Visa for NYU Shanghai
International faculty enter China on different visas depending on their length of stay. NYU Shanghai’s Office of Human Resources in New York can answer questions throughout the process.
Short Term Business Travel (under 3 months)
If NYU Shanghai is sponsoring your travel, please contact email@example.com for assistance throughout the process. If another NYU entity is sponsoring your travel, please follow the steps below.
It is recommended that you initiate this process at least one month in advance, though of course doing so earlier will help you compensate for unexpected delays.
Please note there are two types of business visas you can apply for, however the embassy will ultimately determine the type of visa that you will receive.
Complete visa application and gather required materials
To apply for a business visa, you will need to gather the following materials:
- Completed and signed Chinese visa application.
- Your original signed passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months and contain at least two blank ‘visa’ pages.
- A passport size color glossy photo (no more than six months old)
- A copy of your stamped invitation letter (our office can provide this for you, if necessary)
- A copy of the main page of your passport
- A copy of the latest expired Chinese visa in your passport (if you have one)
- Non-US citizens will also need to provide the original and copy of a green card/permanent resident card/work permit
- A copy of the biographical information page of your previous passport if your current passport was issued within the last two years
This list is not exhaustive of all documentation that may be required. The consulate or embassy will inform you if additional documents are required.
Take visa application, passport, and all required materials to a Chinese consulate or embassy
If you are in New York, you can drop off your application materials at the Chinese consulate, located at the northern corner of 42nd Street at the West Side Highway in Manhattan (520 12th Avenue). The office hours of the passport and visa office are 9AM - 2:30PM Monday to Friday. The wait to drop off your application is usually about 30 - 45 minutes.
After dropping off a visa application the agent will give you a receipt that states when to pick up the completed visa. It will take two or three business days for the embassy to process your application.
Pick up completed visa
When you return to the consulate to pick up your completed visa, the wait is usually about 10 - 20 minutes.
Long Term International Assignment (over 3 months)
As an international appointed faculty member, the NYU Shanghai HR Immigration and Relocation Services Team will assist you in the process of obtaining a valid Chinese entry visa, work permit and residence permit.
Below is an overview of the process, the required documents you will need to submit, and estimated timeframes for each step. The timeframes are a rough estimate based on normal practice and exclude unexpected delays. Please see the Immigration Procedures for International Faculty and Staff for more details.
Before arriving in Shanghai
Send the required immigration documents to the HR Immigration and Relocation Services Team
Estimated processing time: 20-40 business days
To start the immigration process, you will need to share the following documents:
- Scanned color copy of passport ID page
- Completed resume
- Employment Verification Letter from past employer
- Scanned color copy of highest degree certificate
- Digital passport photo
- Signed Employment Contract
- Signed application form and letter of commitment
- Scanned color copy of legalization* of highest degree certificate
- Scanned color copy of legalization* of no criminal record documentation
Not all documents are required in every case and, at times, additional documents are required. Please check with your designated HR Immigration and Relocation Services Associate for the specific documents you will need to provide.
* Legalization is a process through which a document’s authority is verified. The process may include notarization and authentication of the document.
The HR Immigration and Relocation Services Team will submit your application for “Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit”
Estimated processing time: 30-40 days
- The HR Immigration and Relocation Services Team will review all materials you provided and submit your application for Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit at the local authority in Shanghai.
- This Notification Letter is your pre-approval for a Foreigner’s Work Permit and will allow you to apply for your Chinese work visa.
Apply for your Chinese visa
Estimated processing time: 4-5 business days
Once you receive your Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit from the HR Immigration and Relocation Services Team, you will apply for your Chinese visa in your home country or country of current residence. Below is the list of documents required when applying for your visa:
- Completed visa application form
- Passport photos
- Proof of legal stay or residence status (ONLY applicable to those not applying for the visa in their country of citizenship)
- Photo copy of previous Chinese passports or previous Chinese visas (ONLY applicable to former Chinese citizens who have since obtained foreign citizenship)
- Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit approved by Shanghai Foreign Expert Bureau
After entering Shanghai
Register at your new residence with 24 hours of arriving
Estimated processing time: 5-10 minutes
- If you are staying in a hotel or serviced apartment, register at the front desk with your passport.
- If you are staying in private housing, register at the local police station with your passport, a copy of your lease agreement, copy of your landlord’s ID, and a copy of your property certificate. Normally, the real estate agent who helped you in finding your residence can help you with the registration.
Get your physical examination
Estimated processing time: Examination takes 1-2 hours and medical report will be issued in 5 business days.
- You will receive a physical examination at a medical center designated by the Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau.
- The appointment will be made for you by the HR Immigration and Relocation Services Team prior to your arrival.
The HR Immigration and Relocation Services Team applies for your Foreigner’s Work Permit Card
Estimated processing time: 10-15 business days
For the Foreigner’s Work Permit Card application, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Original Employment Verification Letter from past employer
- Original highest degree certificate or Original legalization of highest degree certificate and no criminal record
- Original copy of Physical Examination Form received during STEP 5
The HR Immigration and Relocation Services Team files your Residence Permit application
Estimated processing time: 7 business days
For the Residence Permit application, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Copy of Temporary Residence Registration Form issued in STEP 4
- 2 passport photos
PLEASE NOTE: During this final stage, your passport will be held at the Shanghai Exit-Entry Administration Bureau for 7 business days, during which international travel is NOT allowed. Domestic travel during this period is allowed.