There are a number of factors that need to be considered when determining if a faculty member or researcher needs to obtain a visa in advance of traveling to Spain. These factors include: country of citizenship, duration of the trip, prior recent travel to the Schengen region, and the purpose or activity required during the trip. If in doubt, please contact the Office of Global Services (OGS) as early as possible.

Prepare for Your Stay in Spain

Before beginning STEP 1, be sure to have a valid passport.

  • A valid passport should have at least six months beyond expected return date and at minimum, two blank visa pages.


Complete the Immigration Assistance Request Form

Typical Timeframe: 0-1 Days


Book an Appointment with OGS

Typical Timeframe: 1-10 Days

  • OGS identifies proper immigration path for the intended trip and contacts faculty member.
    • If OGS determines a visa is needed, faculty member books an appointment with OGS.


Gather Documents and Share with OGS

Typical Timeframe: 1-30 Days

  • Faculty member gathers their immigration and travel documents and shares with OGS via NYU Box.


OGS Prepares Work Permit Exemption Application

Typical Timeframe: 30-60 Days

  • OGS will work with faculty member, their department or school, NYU Madrid, the Spanish Consulate, and outside counsel (if needed) to file a work permit exemption application or another type of work authorization.


Complete Visa Application and Book Consulate Appointment

Typical Timeframe: 0-1 Day

  • Faculty member completes visa application and books appointment with consulate
  • Prior to visiting the consulate, the faculty member returns to OGS to have visa application materials reviewed


Attend Consulate Appointment

Typical Timeframe: 1 Day

  • Faculty member attends consulate appointment to submit visa application.


Pick up Visa and Passport

Typical Timeframe: 1 Day

  • Faculty member returns to consulate to pick up visa and passport.


Travel to Destination

Typical Timeframe: N/A

  • Faculty member travels to destination and enters showing their passport and visa.


Apply for Residence Permit and Card

Typical Timeframe: 30-45 Day

  • Within one month of arrival, the faculty member must apply for a national identity card at the Police Station having jurisdiction over their residence.
  • If the residence permit is granted for more than 180 days, the faculty member also  has to apply for a residence card. If the residence permit is less than 180 days, a residence card is not necessary.


Complete Suggested Travel Practices

Typical Timeframe: Prior to travel

Additional Resources