What is O-1

The O-1 visa is used for individuals who are recognized as having sustained national or international acclaim for extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, athletics (O-1A), and arts (O-1B).

How to Get O-1

Scholar Services will gladly answer any questions that you may have about O-1 status, however, all requests for O-1 status sponsorship must originate from the NYU hiring department at least 6 months prior to the desired appointment start date.

How to Stay Legal While in O-1

These are six things to look out for to ensure legal status on the O-1.

Family Members

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years old of the principal O-1 visa holder can enter the U.S. in O-3 status. O-3 dependents are not permitted to work in the U.S., however they may study.


All new scholars should register with Scholar Services upon arrival or approval of a change of status.